Cabin power on battery

Panda54Panda54 Member Posts: 8
2003 FV250, wondering if I should have power to the cabin outlets and fridge when not hooked up to shore power. 

Reading through numerous posts here it seems that my cabin fridge should run off the batteries when I’m not at the dock. Should this happen automatically when I unhook the shore power or do I have to flip a breaker/switch? 

Similarly, should the cabin outlets still be powered, say for a fan or tv?

Comments

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outlets won't be powered unless you have an inverter. The refrigerator is usually 12v DC powered and when plugged in at shore it is 120v AC. If you can look at the back of the refrigerator you can check and see if it is plugged into a regular 120v outlet in which case it would not be powered by the battery. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7
    Mine fridge is plugged into a 120 volt outlet and also has a 12 volt connection. Automatically switches between the two depending upon which power source is available. If no AC is detected it auto-switches to DC.

Check for the usual 120 volt plug and then look for another set of wires (I believe mine come out of the top of the fridge) and those head back to a quick-connect 12v fitting.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had problems with mine on our 270 when purchased..I replaced an inverter/control on the back? Seems like it ran on 12 volts all the time- battery when underway and when on shore it still did? Not 100% converted the 110 to 12v?
  • FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    It drove me crazy that I couldn't turn off the cabin fridge without going inside and turning thermostat all the way down, so I put a hidden switch in the adjacent cabinet up high and out of the way.
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cabin fridge is full of nothing but high end rums and tequilas.   A dead battery is a small sacrifice for frosty liquor