Help with gauge selection

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://fariabeede.com/2-pages/aftermarket.php

I received my new dash panel which must have been the last one in the world. I'm looking for gauges, something else I currently know nothing about. If this link works it has the gauge series I'm looking at. All the hole sizes on the panel match up it looks like. Are ones like these the way to go? I know they have a good name recognition...are there other brands I should be looking at? I need to replace my broke **** compass too- or put a bobble head there like we used to have invthe car rear window..

Comments

• Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    Stewart Warner makes good gauges but not sure if the styles currently offered are what you are looking for.
    Stewart Warner Marine Gauges (gaugesforboats.com)
    Rinker sold but still have other boats        Eastern LI, NY
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Rich_, I will take a look-
    I went with faira listed above, combo gauge Amazon, rest on ebay- 800 bucks total so with the panel I'm just right at what geico sent me a check for..

Process is always slow- I did get the panel in, perfect and ordered faria gauges, look great. Place I store my boat has a "guy" he put them in today. 

Fuel gauge pegs full, key on or off- I wish.

Oil pressure sits at 40, volts are at like 12. This is not running. I turn on one of the nav lights and I hear a noise like it's shorting-volt meter goes to 0 though...sounds like issues.

• Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    Your yard needs a new guy
    Rinker sold but still have other boats        Eastern LI, NY
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25
    When I'm playing with new fuel gauges and they are not working right I'll hook them directly to the fuel sending unit(with unit pulled). This way I can raise and lower the level to verify it's working/reading properly.

Grounding the sensor feed wire for the gauge results in a pegged full needle.

A multimeter can read the sending unit to verify operation while removed if the gauge isn't reading right/at all. 

I don't even want to guess at the volt meter issue.  Any sparking or shorting sounds on a gasser boat would make me cringe in fear.  Anger if I paid to have it done 
    The nice folks that stole the gauges cut the wires right behind panel. So my guy found the short run to the main harness and unplugged it/them- I think there were two. He said from there it should not be a problem to re create that harness and all the wires colors signified what function of it is- I know he had issues finding new pins because of its age. Maybe the other harness is wrong, probably not. I putting the boat back at storage- maybe to find out how smart the a hole was that stole them in the first place. Never could understand why anyone would have taken mine- used are cheap vs jail? Maybe they took my old ones, knowing I'd replace them, and will come back for the new ones! 
    It's looking like it's up to me to try and figure this out- that sound possible?

I'm sure it was not possible..but he figured it out. New dash panel, new gauges- 1500 allowance, before 500 deductible- he was 675, making a new harness extension and installing everything..gauges around 8? Tried not to count. Got new gauges cheap I guess but rather not had to deal with it-
    And on the water, everything seemed to work fine. About 102 today however...
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the fix, and a successful day on the water
    2000 Captiva 232