Genny not running correctly

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,497 admin
OK I need some help with my genny. It's a 2002 Kohler 5E. It starts OK and runs for a few minutes just fine. I put a load on it and it will run for a few minutes then it starts to "hunt" and runs at lower rpm's than it should, then runs OK and it will "hunt" again then shut down. Starts right up and runs OK and starts........ well I guess you get the picture. It has new plugs and new impellor. I'm thinking may a carb issue. Does anyone know what the carb part number is? Thanks for any reply's. 
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19
    Sounds like a carb issue. Pull the fuel line and make up a 50/50 mix of gas and sea foam. Put the fuel line into you mix and run it for a little bit. Turn off the genny and let it sit for a half hour. Try to run it after and see how she does.
    Post edited by aero3113 on
    2008 330EC
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,497 admin
    @aero3113 I was thinking dirty carb also. Definitely give this a try. Thanks for your reply 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @raybo3 , I had the same issue with my 5ECD when I first got the boat. Turned out it was the injector that was dirty. I replaced it and all was good. Hopefully the 50/50 mix clears her up for you!
    2008 330EC
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might not be a carb issue.  Could also be a fuel pump issue (not keeping up with demand). 

Can you pull the fuel hose to verify adequate fuel flow to the fuel pump and/or adequate fuel from the fuel pump to the carb.