342 fuel tank leak

I've got a leak in the starboard side tank. It is getting pumped out but I'm wondering if I used the diverter valve and isolated that tank and run both engines off of the port tank would there be any issue with that? It's a 2002 and not really looking to put a lot of money in it to change it if possible since we don't run the boat wide open for extended amounts of time. Mainly just dropping anchor in coves.

Answers

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30
    The downside to using only one tank would be balance/listing of the boat as you'd have about 600 pounds of fuel weight (full tank) on one side. You could obviously compensate for that in a number of ways.

Resale will definitely be an issue when you decide to sell.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • ChillyDeeChillyDee Member Posts: 3
    Definitely would have to compensate for the listing of the vessel. This would be a temporary fix to get thru the summer and fall.
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,741 mod
    Welcome to the forum!

I get that you want to defer this job for one season.  The fact that you posted this question says you understand there's a risk.  To mitigate that risk, are you willing to stick your nose into the bilge or the blower exhaust every time before starting the engines?  
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can install an alarm in the bilge just for detecting gas leaks.   For me that would be a must have safety upgrade for any gasser inboard. 
  • ChillyDeeChillyDee Member Posts: 3
    LaRea, good point. I was also thinking of putting water into that tank to lesson vapors that may be there from that empty tank. Bad part about that would be if somehow there was a siphoning effect from the engines on that tank even though the valve to that tank was closed. Maybe not worth the risk. 
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will need to replace the tank to sell the boat unless you want to take a hit on the sell price far greater than the cost to replace the tank. There is a great post by DanD2 on this forum if you want to search on how to take apart the aft cabin to get to the fuel tanks and replace. Worth doing in the offseason and then replacing the tank. Tank itself should be less than $3k.

I would have a pro come and empty the tank and I would not put anything back in to it. Only way to offset the weight/list is with lead or chain on that side of the boat. Putting water in the tank just for gas/water mix to leak out is not the best idea. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,741 mod
    Maybe dump in a bag of oil absorbent pellets, just in case some water condensation creeps into the tank.  Hate to see this bad situation on a nice boat!  
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he's only running it a small amount run the tank down as low as you feel safe to make it out/back. 

Back when I was making 8 bucks and hour to keep a merc 150 black max fed we used the trolling motor to get back to the ramp much more often than I care to admit because we'd only put 10 in bucks of gas in her. Can't be spending all our beer money on fuel