Boat going up for sale, what's a fair price?

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, it's come to that time for me. I've got a 37 Egg Harbor as the home base. Thinking about getting something small that can either be kept in a rack or even smaller, an inflatable to go on the front deck of the EH.

Have had the 270 out for 3 weeks up in the air, getting the bottom cleaned up, drive cleaned up, getting things refreshed. At the moment Im going to keep using her as a weekend boat to get out on the water, it's kind of nice having her in the rack nice and clean and ready to go. However, the reality is I can't own TWO boats of this size!

What do you think would be a fair price for this boat? I'm going to list out everything I can remember that is good and bad.. 

2004 270. 

The good:

Motor has somewhere around 150-175 hours on her (will check tomorrow for an exact number). It's a 383 fresh water cooled stroker. 

The bravo 3 is a sea core version, it's 2 or 3 years old ( will also have to nail that down ). 

I have replaced the risers once, 2 and a half years ago, if there's no interest, I'll probably do it again. 

AC is ice cold as long as the water temp isn't above 93 (yikes, already hit that here in Key largo)

Bilge is dry as a bone, always, even after rain storms..

No soft deck, no leaks into the cabin from rain. 

Stereo is good, but nothing upgraded over a "normal" experience. 

Led lighting all around, including inside. 

Vessel view mobile installed and rock solid. 

Some bad (which I have talked about here before).

Since day 1 of the repower she's always had what smelled like unburned fuel. I had a mechanic up north look at it, I even had the extended motor warranty. Nobody could really find anything. She did run nice and strong, although never up to 40mph (like I've seen some here claim).. I have personally seen 37 mph with stock props. 

Down here in the keys finally a mechanic noticed that the stbd rear cyclinder had a low compression number (90) compared to others. However he changed the spark plug and she purred like a kitten. At this point the motor had been running for years like this and honestly, I didn't have the time or the $ to really look into it. The motor still runs the same, a new plug seems to be fine for a bit but then eventually it fouls out. Either way, even with it fouling the boat still jumps up on plane (with the 4x4 hill marine props) and gets you where you need to go. 

The black paint is scratched in some places.. in fact I think the scratches are on the side pictured below in the first picture. Not perfect at all, but I guess pretty good for a 2004 boat. I haven't even washed her in months. Took this picture this morning. 

Bottom to be sanded this week and painted. 

Dash needs the main panel replaced as it's pealing. 

Seats could probably be redone as there's cracks in one of the cushions but overall they look good. 

Other than that I can't think of anything else that's really wrong. 

What do you think? What's the fire sale price, the fair price and the "you're nuts you'll never get that" price? 

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be anxious to see!
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2
    Locally (within 4-5 hrs Dr) the 270 are being posted between about 20k-35k

There's one on a trailer locally boasting a 496 repower with dreadful interior for 17k that's quite interesting.  

Good luck with sale!   
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that, wonder how the 496 does in it! After pulling the drive off and seeing zero water in the oil and the bellow, I'm pretty happy at the moment. Brought the drive back to the house, going to sand her down and paint her and put her back on next weekend. I really wouldn't mind holding on to her and having the Egg Harbor as the "house" and the rinker as the day or weekend boat. Believe it or not, paying for space for BOTH boats is only slightly more than the going rate for being a room mate with a person here in the keys (I'm paying 1300, EH in the water at the dock, Rinker on the hard).. people charge 1200-1400 to be a room mate and if you want your own 1bed 1 bath, you're looking at 2k if you want a real oven in your kitchen and maybe a washer/dryer. 

How much notice do you need to give the marina to get the boat in the water? 

edited June 3
    I walk up and say "Please put the boat in the water" in Spanish. . :D and they put it in.  The only real con is they want you back by 4:30. I figure I'll just pull up to a friends dock or stay out overnight if 430 is a problem. Although I have to be honest, we're usually back at the dock by 4, after leaving around 1030am
    That's awesome. I've heard some dry docks require 24 hr notice.  
  • FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    @J3ff as new relatively new FV270 owner I see a lot to like on that boat.  I definitely paid a premium to have a fresh water boat.  I also filtered out all boats without a radar arch because I knew I wanted to add a solar bimini to it one day.  The bonus was the genset, but that wasn't a must-have.  I can't recall if you have one or not. 

Anyway, on your lists of "the bad" that dash that's peeling (not sure if you mean switch panel or gauge panel) is a super easy fix and will make it really stand out, especially if it needs new switch covers; a fast, easy, and cheap upgrade if you haven't already.  I'd definitely try to fix that before listing her. (I used "Burnished Amber" spray paint from Home Depot...and it looks great.)  I also wouldn't sweat the stereo as most who want to upgrade the tunes want it their way and would replace the old hardware anyway.  Low time engine is a huge plus.

My newbie 2 cents: I wouldn't list it for less than $30K to start. While it's always nice to look at other listings for comparative sake, you probably have a higher value boat than the average one out there for sale, so don't feel you need to price it in line with others.  Just be diligent with the listing description (you've probably forgotten many of your upgrades) and include LOTS of high-def pictures and you'll find the right buyer, especially given the season has just begun!  Good luck!!
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is an 05...I bought end of 13 for 36...had 50 hours, at least showing so I did pretty well on mine...with new interior/carpet/new dash and guages I'm in pretty good shape
  • captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 263 ✭✭
    This is definitely the right time of year to sell for top $$. 
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
    captkevin said:
    This is definitely the right time of year to sell for top $$. 
    well I don't expect top $ that's for sure.