Options

Engine lifetime hours

Rinkerfor4Rinkerfor4 Member Posts: 12
I’m looking at a boat with a mercruiser 350 mpi and bravo out drive.  
Is 834hrs considered a lot of hours ? And how long are they usually good for   Apparently it had a compression test and it checked out ok 

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10
    Salt water? Fresh water?  Closed or open loop?  Coolant system ? Service history?

1500 is rule of thumb life expectancy but I'd rather buy a well serviced boat with records @900 hours than a 200 hour boat that has been neglected. 

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭✭
    It also depends on the hours at RPM ranges. If it’s been a speedboat all it’s life that will have an impact.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The motor is virtually indestructible - if the block isn’t cracked, it’s good to go for another 800 hours. It’s the drive that you will need to pray for.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Rinkerfor4Rinkerfor4 Member Posts: 12
    Salt water? Fresh water?  Closed or open loop?  Coolant system ? Service history?

1500 is rule of thumb life expectancy but I'd rather buy a well serviced boat with records @900 hours than a 200 hour boat that has been neglected. 

Fresh water. Open cooling with lake water.   
    Oh yes I forgot with the mpi engines they should be able to print off the runtime history.  
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    My 20 Grady has 2712 hours on a 225 Mercury Optimax. While that is a lot of hours, it came from a police boat in FL where the engine spent a large part of its life under 2000 RPM until I got my hands on it. That engine still runs fine and I would have no hesitation taking it on just about any trip.

Fresh water is a big bonus for longevity and staying on top of maintenance goes a lot further than hours.
    Rinker sold but still have other boats        Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11

Like @YYZRC said the outdrive is the $$$ part of the set up although SEI is now selling aftermarket B3 uppers and lowers.  

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s all about the maintenance. I remember Al saying he had a boat in the shop with over a couple thousand hours both engine and drive and it was still going hard.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our 2000 270 5.7L Merc had just under 1000 hours when we sold it and still ran like a champ. Good compression still. Regular maintenance is key. As mentioned the B3 while an excellent example of a counter rotating dual prop does require maintenance sooner, we rebuilt ours at 700 hours to fix a pesky leak and it was great after that.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)