Replacing Galley Faucet

SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

Finally launched boat Thursday.  As every year, there always seems to be some gremlins that pop up.  Stuff that worked fine when the boat was put in storage, and then Spring comes...So the faucet developed a leak.  Not a drip, but an actual thin stream of water despite the handle being off.  I suspect bad winterization.  Don't know how it would leak so bad despite being fine last Fall.

With the sink being in front of the faucet, there is minimal room to reach the faucet.  I figure the sink needs to be removed.  It has about a 1/8 inch lip all the way around, and that allows the sink to sit on an overhang of wood that is somehow attached to the underside of the Corian.  My thought is that if I break the seal of caulk all the way around, perhaps with a razor blade, I would be able to pop the sink up and out (after undoing the drain pipe).  Is it truly that simple or am I missing something?

I then plan to replace the faucet with a similar one from Lowes or Home Depot.  Any thoughts or tips to make this project go smooth?

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Spyderweb , I’m not sure how to remove the sink but if you’re going to throw out the old faucet, can I buy the set screw that holds the gooseneck on? It’s on the backside of the faucet. Mine has been missing since I bought the boat. Somehow it stays in but I did have it pop out once or twice.
    2008 330EC
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replaced the faucet in my 330 without removing the sink. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 913 ✭✭✭
    @aero3113 If I'm successful here, you're welcome to that tiny screw.

@YYRZ did you need tools to get the nut off that holds the faucet in place?  Didn't seem like there was enough room in there.  Did you take any of the cabinet apart?
    I can’t remember for sure but I think I used a deep socket with an extension to get it off. 
    Any ballpark idea of socket size?
    edited June 15
    Thank you @Spyderweb! Let me know and I’ll send you a PM ⚓️.
    2008 330EC
    Sorry I can’t remember @Spyderweb - I always start with 10mm!
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,741 mod
    You probably need a "basin wrench" ... Amazon or any hardware store.
    @LaRea I did see that wrench in doing research.  There’s the most room for my hand to the right, but a pretty short distance for that wrench handle.  The shortest I’ve seen is 10”.  Finally got the faucet picked out but have to order.  Going to boat tomorrow for a few days.  Will try my hand in there and try and get better idea of how doable working in that tight space might  be.
    Anyone happen to know the galley faucet brand used by Rinker in 2008?  I bet if I could replace the cartridge in mine it would solve the problem.
  • FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    FWIW, I replaced my faucet with this pull-out one. It's low profile so it fit the galley pretty well and definitely easy on the wallet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B2R4FN7C
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
    Nice.  And good price.
    I got this Grohe faucet on Warehouse Deals for about $80. I like the low-rise neck.

https://a.co/d/a4TYG30
    Nice work @Spyderweb - I had the same issue with the fitting size. I added shut off valves to get to the same end result as you did with the adapter. 
    Great news! ⚓️
    I just sent you a message.
    2008 330EC
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,659 mod
    Isn't that the way it always goes!  Something that looks as simple as 2 bolts and two hoses can take an entire day!  New faucet looks really nice!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• toolmaker312toolmaker312 Member Posts: 120
    I got my new faucet in and out without removing the Shelf using a deep dish socket and an extension to the ratchet. I thought all faucets were created equal and when I went to hook up the new supply lines they were male instead of female. I guess the boat hoses they use are pex which is a higher pressure and a little different outer diameter. I cut the end and used SharkBite fittings that worked pretty well. Thankfully no leaks
    Good job.  Sound like your project went a little smoother than mine.
  • toolmaker312toolmaker312 Member Posts: 120
    Not really that was just an informational summary. Three hardware stores one other fitting leak
    @Spyderweb I installed the screw today. Wasn’t easy though! The screw goes into a nylon ring that’s on the neck. The hole wasn’t lining up for the screw to go into. I finally got it. Had to come up with a way to put some pressure on the screw while it went in. Wasn’t much room but it worked!

Thanks again!!

2008 330EC
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭✭
    One of the best tools I ever bought - and have - for this type of situation...

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-65200-Ratchet-Phillips/dp/B08D6YDQNH
    That’s nice @TonyG13 I have something like that in my toolbox at the hangar. I’m going to get one for the boat 👍🏻.
    2008 330EC
    @aero3113 early on I took that screw out hoping to find a replaceable cartridge beneath the spout.  When I found none, I realized l had to thread the screw through that nylon ring to put back together.  With the tight area I got a little concerned of what I might have got myself into.  Got it in alright, but in the end it didn’t matter.  Glad you got it in.  
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭
    TonyG13 said:
    One of the best tools I ever bought - and have - for this type of situation...

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-65200-Ratchet-Phillips/dp/B08D6YDQNH
    As soon as I saw this post - I ordered that tool.
    One of the mounting bolts on the underside of my electric helm seat is long gone.

Been stumped as to how to fit a new bolt in that limited space. (without major disassembly) This will be perfect.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current