A/c, help!

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
Got across the lake and into my slip- perfect conditions but a tad out of practice...anywho...a/c which always fires right up did, but no water pumping and shuts off-; I pulled the intake trap near the the thru hull and well...pretty nasty. I swear I checked it "recently" - only in the water a hand full of times over the last 4 years- but for about 3 months I was in a marina and there was just slime running from the boat side drain- still pumped water. Our water is hot and is "healthy".

So, I pulled the pick up filter off and cleaned it a second time- I opened the thru hull- I figured water would come thru a pretty good rate? It is a hole in the boat- closed it back up, tried again- turned the filter while it was trying to run to burp it- maybe I did not do it long enough but water was coming out at the trap.
Should I try to back pressure back thru the thru hull or does water not poor through with the thru hull open and the intake strainer filter off?

I can't remember which of the holes on the side is the a/c- should I back pressure the hose thru the system? Shop vac and suck? What about in front off the intake strainer filter- can I back flow/suck thru there to clear it?
It sounds like everything is working, compressor kicks on and makes all the normal noises- no water - kicks the compressor out.

Comments

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3
    Sounds like it needs to be primed. 

Have water at your slip?  Put in clothes you don't mind getting wet, make sure the seacock is open and squirt water into the outlet port once you've verified which one it is. 

Even with my breeder valve its a pita to reprime the AC.
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @PickleRick- yes I have water and a hose- I was concerned I'd screw something up. With the strainer off and I open tge thru hull- should that not flow like really well? I will try the hose thru tge above water line thru hull...
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,497 admin
    I had the same problem last week. Cleaned the strainer and still no water. I ended up having to open the pump up and found grass in the pump, not much but enough to not let the pump pump. Cleaned the grass out of the pump and pumping like crazy. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    edited July 3
    The only way I can get mine to prime without the wader hose method (learned that on here) is the unplug my ac pump and connect it directly to a wall outlet.  The compressor will keep kicking off otherwise, you may not have this option. 

I then get to remove my sediment cup from its holder and spend half an hour flipping it up and down with the bleeder unhooked until it primes.  I am hot, sweaty, angry and hate the world by the time I am done. 

You might be able to prime it with a shop vac if you can get it to seal enough and it has enough suction power.  That's one I have not tired... sounds like a good idea.

The only way I can get mine to prime without the wader hose method (learned that on here) is the unplug my ac pump and connect it directly to a wall outlet.  The compressor will keep kicking off otherwise, you may not have this option. 

I then get to remove my sediment cup from its holder and spend half an hour flipping it up and down with the bleeder unhooked until it primes.  I am hot, sweaty, angry and hate the world by the time I am done. 

You might be able to prime it with a shop vac if you can get it to seal enough and it has enough suction power.  That's one I have not tired... sounds like a good idea.

Would that be suction at the above water line thru hull? I'll try pressure first...just feel like there is some sludge and probably does not take much...thanks all.
    @raybo3 that pump is right ahead of the strainer? I kind of saw it, but, it disassembles and serviceable? I'll try to back flush- really don't have a lot of grasses in our water...
    rasbury said:

Would that be suction at the above water line thru hull? I'll try pressure first...just feel like there is some sludge and probably does not take much...thanks all.
    Suction from the outlet side of the AC. 

Assuming you don't have a clog.  
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just leave the seacock open and take the boat for a spin on plane. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    edited July 3
    Now I need to figure which is the outlet..., I think it has some crud for sure... hey @j3ff , which outlet on the 270 is the right one? Anyone?
    edited July 3
    I know this doesn't help at all but the easiest way for me to keep the AC system primed is closing the seacock before pulling the boat out of the water.  So far it's held for weeks at a time between launches. 

Another trick I learned from this site. 

I haven't tried taking the boat for a spin on plain,  my genny is tied off to my transom and while I don't think it could fall off, I don't go more than idle no wake speeds with it back there.  If you have an inboard genny I'd go for it, that sounds the easiest.  My admiral isn't going to sleep on the boat without AC.  That's a deal breaker in our relationship.  
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,497 admin
    rasbury said:
    @raybo3 that pump is right ahead of the strainer? I kind of saw it, but, it disassembles and serviceable? I'll try to back flush- really don't have a lot of grasses in our water...
    If you decide to pull the front of the pump off be careful as it has a ceramic shaft that can brake easy. I had only a very small amount of grass so it doesn't take much for the pump not to pump. Those pumps are expensive so be careful. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,659 mod
    @PickleRick you don't need to use your genny while taking it on plane.  You can just go out and take it on plane.  Then come back and plug it in and it will be primed.  I keep my boat on a lift and close my seacock each weekend I raise it back up.  Never an issue as long as I close it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

I've read on here before is shutting off tge thru hull before pulling- I've never done that and never had a problem. I'll go back to the boat with a hose and a vacuum and lastly, on plane. I'd sure like to confirm what hole the water is supposed to come out before I flood it out- has to be one of bottom two of the cluster of four...
    Dream_Inn said:
    @PickleRick you don't need to use your genny while taking it on plane.  You can just go out and take it on plane.  Then come back and plug it in and it will be primed.  I keep my boat on a lift and close my seacock each weekend I raise it back up.  Never an issue as long as I close it.
    If that's the case it's a no go in my case.   Perhaps it's because my boat has a max speed of a about 22mph. 

@rasbury where is your ac located?

If you're down at the boat at night follow the discharge hose from your ac to where it goes to the hull, then have a volunteer hold the brightest flashlight you own up to all the thru hulls until you find they find the one that brightens up.   
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    I think its the chrome one on the bottom in that cluster of 4 mid ship 
    I got down after work , not much success.  Well, no success. The a/c is located on the starboard side at the midship berth/storage area. The strainer is located in the floor of the same area, along with the shower sump- that is an awesome idea for locating the hull outlet @PickleRick but not there at night- but will remember that for the future! I may have to really take some stuff apart just to get to hoses to see where it is blocked- if that's the problem. Everything seems to be running...I may have to pull the a/c forward a bit to get to the discharge line and see if water is getting that far.. I'll go back tomorrow with some more tools, drop the pump and get the line off and confirm water is making it through. I'm going to try and find something to snake from the hull side
    Pulled the pump out, disconnected the hose, ran a/c and for sure pumping.  Tried both hose through the hose and suction on the hose: water or suction would not work- should I be able to push water through the system? It was not running,  guess I should try that- but pump seems to pump pretty well...
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure you need it running to get water through. One of the best ways to prime the A/C water line is to just go for a spin on the boat ... the A/C would not normally be running while underway ... so I wouldn't think the water would prime under those circumstances if the A/C would need to be on.

Really stupid question here, but all your valves are open right? 

I would focus on the inlet ... are you able to get the boat on a lift?  If so, disconnect the inlet hose at the strainer, and if you can get your hands on compressed air ... to blow that line out. You must have something lodged in that suction line.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

edited July 4
    I don't know how good your lungs are but if you know water is getting from the pump to the lines going towards your AC one could give it a healthy blow and someone on the dock could point out which thru hull the water comes out.  You can also do the same with the hose going the opposite direction towards the thru hull. 

As far as I know there are really not any self priming ac water pumps.  The pumps themselves are usually below the water line,  the AC unit, usually not.

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again, go for a short ride on plane with the seacock open and report back. All other methods should be secondary. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    With the pump and ac running unscrew the strainer and it will prime . You have an air lock somewhere just unscrew the strainer while it’s running 
    edited July 5
    So end of tge story, a/c is working...I was able to get to the discharge line on the top of tge a/c. I ran my "snake" thru it and definitely something in the line. Hit with the shop vac- no good. So, I pretended I was stealing gas , got a big wad of something out, and wala! Thanks for all the good advice as always. I had 3 grandkids, me and the wife and 1 daughter aboard...that's a lot to ask of a 270...
    Very nice!  Sounds like a crew that would appreciate a functioning ac
    Very nice!  Sounds like a crew that would appreciate a functioning ac
    Including me. It was 102 this afternoon..but I'm still having other issues...