Change Generator impeller on 2002 342 with 5E Kohler

any tricks to getting to impeller, doesn't look like a lot of room to get in there with access panel facing bow.

was running Genny and noticed exhaust sound got loader so immediately looked at exhaust port and no water coming out,  so I assume impeller is shot or yellow coupler failed or impeller spun on it shaft.

any help would be appreciated,  thanks

Comments

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    , what model rinker do you have?  Hopefully one of the guys with an exact model can chime in with some tips, tricks and choice swear words to get the job done.
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭
    Get yourself a moving blanket to lay over top the engines.  You will thank me later.  Depending on how large you are you may need the help of a thin and agile mechanic.  I would wedge myself in the corner and remove the exhaust hoses to get a little more room.  Then remove the small access plate where the hoses connect to the generator.  You dont have to but i also would remove the hoses at the fittings on the generator. It just gave me a little more room.  There are two to three bolts to remove and the whole thing falls out in your hand.  If you pull it out take a hard look at both the impeller and the yellow coupler.  Very often that coupler goes and the impeller isn't bad.  There is a kit that i would recommend in which you replace the impeller, coupler and gasket.  When reassembling you have to use a decent amount of plumbers grease to keep the gasket in place as you just can't see when it pops out.  You will know when you go to run it as water goes everywhere.

Oh and it helps to have someone else on the boat just in case you get stuck and need some one to help pull you out....been there. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • ggggttttggggtttt Member Posts: 8
    Thank you David,  good feedback and tips.  Appreciate it
    Hey Rick,  it's a 2003  Rinker 342 with twin 6.2's
    Opps,  2002  Rinker 342

Hi Guys any other feedback out there beyond David's valuable input.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So being  2002 you have less room than guys with 2004 and newer. Around 2003-2004 they made a modification on the transom that added a foot or more to the engine room. Davids advice is the best you will get. Lay yourself in a position that gets you on the forward side of the genset. You'll need a light and socket set. The good news is that its 99% just the impeller and once you get the outer plate off, voila there it is. Easy swap. The bolts are long but thats not a big deal. Of course if its the coupler thats not a major deal either but you need to pull the entire pump off to get to it. You'll already have the bolts pulled so you can just keep on pulling to get to the coupler. If you've never changed the coupler I'd recommend changing it while there. The act of changing the impeller itself is easy, as you already know it is getting light and arms in there that is the PIA but back to davids advice get yourself in a decent position and you can do it! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

thank you Liberty,  appreciate it
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭
    @Liberty44140 I had the 2003 342 and i can definitely attest that I didn't have the extra room in front of the engines that newer models had...so i am thinking2004-2005 timeframe is when they made the change.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    Yep that makes sense David.

• Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    @Liberty44140 I got to ask if it was as tough as your 310?  I know I had to fold myself like a pretzel and use a mirror to see what i was doing 
    Hey Pat, man the 310 was so long ago and I only changed the impeller once so I can’t clearly remember to compare. To be fair I was 32 years old and 32 lbs less back then  :D

• toolmaker312toolmaker312 Member Posts: 120
    I did mine a couple years ago and I also used a mirror. I might have taken off the exhaust hose for the generator or moved it out of the way. I think I found out the hard way it only goes on one way because the holes aren't equally spaced