Boat Anchor

EasybeeEasybee Member Posts: 19
Hello from Florida, Issue with 2005, Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, the boat anchor motor will allow the anchor to go down but will not pull it up. I have to physically retrieve it out the water. Troubleshooted various causes from testing switches, electrical circuits wiring, grounding which all seems to be Okay. Any other suggestions before I have to purchase a new motor? 

Easybee - Boat "Just Right for Now"
Tagged:

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30
    Did you test the solenoid?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭
    The original windlass was a horizon 600.  It was discontinued but the 700 fits perfectly in its place.  When you say it will not pull it up does the motor not run at all or does the gypsy just not spin?  If the motor is trying then it likely broke the "key" which is a $60 piece of metal about 1/2 long and the size of a construction nail.  if the motor on the windlass isn't working I would verify you actually have 12v going to the motor in both directions.  The new windlasses aren't cheap but they are easy to replace.  I will say that the new one is upgraded in many ways.  I was very happy i finally bit the bullet and replaced mine.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same issue with mine.  At home it runs fine - its hard in the water to keep the tension off- but when we first got it, it would pull the 270 across the lake. I'll be watching this post- it's not been a priority and don't use it often- 
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭
    Could also be your house battery getting weak. Those windlass' draw big chunks of power. A mediocre batt could be the culprit.
    I always try to have the engines running to aid the windlass system.
    Also, manufacturer recommends to annually service (clean/lube) the windlass motor, parts, etc. Virtually nobody does.....
    Did mine last year with the aid of a YouTube vid & synthetic grease. Has never worked better. Imagine windlass maintenance is far more critical for salt water boats.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭✭
    mattie said:
    Also, manufacturer recommends to annually service (clean/lube) the windlass motor, parts, etc. Virtually nobody does.....
    Did mine last year with the aid of a YouTube vid & synthetic grease. Has never worked better.

@Mattie - Do you have a link to that video? I'm long overdue for some maintenance.
  • FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    There is a great tutorial in this thread by @reneechris14 on how to service these with the proper needle bearing if you happen to need it.
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8
    @TonyG13

https://youtu.be/rP1IO3SlpAY?si=vmJoybLHrr-iR5cm

Here's a good vid.....We have a Quick brand windlass on our boat. Most windlass' brands are similar in set up.

Essentially, take the windlass apart - clean the clutch cones & chain wheel. Clean all surfaces. Regrease all the parts.
    Did it in our driveway, so I just dropped the anchor to the cement & took all pressure off the chain rode.

Windlass runs very smoothly & efficiently now. About a month ago, we were out on the boat & I did some battery only windlass action. Good test indicator that the house batt was getting weak. (since replaced).

Do my best to have both motors running when operating windlass.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current