Antenna or not to Antenna

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
So...I've broken it, again. In my dry storage. I'm really thinking about just not having it and pick up a hand held...I'm not in the ocean and intracoastal would be the most salt ill ever see...thoughts? I'm on the river/lakes.

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mounted a 4’ VHF antenna in the gunnel and I carry a handheld VHF as well. I did not want the VHF antenna interfering with my solar.

Not an approach I would openly recommend to anyone but for the type of boating I do it is sufficient. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to WM this am as either way it's probably a good idea to have it anyway- and I will explore my options- my antenna is on the arch so it looks like I'm getting ready for an ocean voyage- I'm not 100% comfortable with the range difference. 99% of my central florida eastern coast boating is a river and lakes that runs to Jacksonville- some of it you would not have cell service. There are no coast guard unless your talking helicopter.  Come to think of it, I'm not sure who would respond other than seatow or perhaps fwc (water cops). I guess I probably should find out! If you've flown over florida most of it looks like water with some sprinkles of land- a little exaggerated but there is a lot of water to keep up with.
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,741 mod
    edited August 10
    How about a 4-foot metal whip antenna instead of the 8-foot fiberglass antenna?  

I wouldn't rely only on the handheld because it has less transmit power.  If you ever need to make a mayday call, you'll want a fixed-mount radio with a real antenna.  The DSC will broadcast your position to any boats nearby (not just Coast Guard).  Any boat within range will hear the DSC alarm.  Boaters can respond and help you, or they can relay your mayday call to the Coast Guard.
    @LaRea thanks for the input- I'm only a 270 and that 8' sitting over the arch is a bit much- if it sat at a marina it would not be a problem- I will for sure look at the 4' .
  • mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    I have a 4 foot fold down mounted on the gunwale right nest to me. If I need it I can lean out and flip it up. Just a thought.
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    I’m on I’m on a 9 mile lake haven’t used my radio in 20 something years 
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    Does your mount not rotate?  I'm not following exactly how it keeps getting broken?  Are you just forgetting about it, and snapping it off when pulling into storage?   In my opinion, you have it there for safety.  There's no replacement for that, when it comes to a handheld's range.   
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need an antenna ... until you need an antenna.
    I wouldn't mess around.  Handheld's are nice, but as a backup.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭
    My vote would be a shorter antenna but not shorter than 4ft. Def make sure your base easily folds. I bought a handheld to have on my boat and I am not very happy with reception. The good news is I have good cell reception over the bay.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    Yes, I've gone back and forth...the handheld reception was a lot of squelch I could not make go away- but I did not mess with it long. One time was a bridge and I had the tops up and just did not think about it- this time backing up into storage area- it was down and locked down but branches caught it. Another time same thing- from my truck I can't see that high backing up-more thought to go into this..
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HYS VHF Marine Antenna Waterproof 3DBI 43.3inch Fiberglass Antennas W/22.9ft(7m) RG58 Low Loss Premium Coaxial Cable with PL259/ Built-in to Nylon Ratchet Mount https://a.co/d/jgiE4HF

This is cheap enough where if you forgot to fold it down your out less than one boat buck.   

Our local emergency responders do not use VHF, I don't know if inland DNR is even equipped with VHF in their boats.   The dive rescue boat we hired to retrieve an anchor and pontoon ladder didn't have a vhf (new guys need dive hours for training so a good place to call for eager divers) 
    edited August 14
    Yea @PickleRick for less than a hundred bucks..it just looks oversized for our boat. I'm in Central Florida and with the wip listened to the hourly coast guard check ins out of Jacksonville- that does not seem possible, must be a bounced signal or something- but the truth of it is, its probably sea tow - and if it's late and someone has to launch...we are on our own aren't we? :#
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I had the sailboat my antenna was on the top of my mast,  I could pick-up the weather from NC, GA and I believe even TN.  

Never once heard a real person on any channel.

The tow boats has a 1888 number 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monday evening coming home from an overnight in Westhampton, the Coast Guard came over the VHF. Be on the lookout for a 68 year old woman who is presumed drowned. Was chilling to hear. Was reported a couple miles west from where we heard it.
    2008 330EC
    Wow, that's terrible @aero3113. I guess I'll replace it- the place I store it I need to do some tree trimming. We are the tallest boat in the yard for sure. Maybe if I don't lock it down it will flip over if I catch on a branch again..
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras, I had a 6 foot on my 270's arch but mounted a bit to one side so I could jump up on the side seat and hit the ratchet mount to lower it for bridges, etc. Worked great. As long as you remember.....
    My opinion on a VHF antenna is more is better.... never know when you might need it.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
    Yea....I'm sold  @Willhound I wish it was removable for safe keeping- I busted this backing up and catching a limb...2nd time where I store it.
  • rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    @rasbury - Is your antenna mount metal?  I had the one below on my 340.  It has a small notch and is designed to fail before the antenna.  It saved me when I wa backing into a slip one time.  I heard a snap and saw the antenna come tumbling down on the side of the boat.  I thought for sure I had a broken antenna but quickly realized the mount failed.  $15 easy fix.
    https://www.westmarine.com/west-marine-dual-axis-ratchet-mount-nylon-1986645.html?&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=[ADL][PLA] Electronics & Navigation_Test&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzva1BhD3ARIsADQuPnUsAGsQf4b4uvKtBGswxb7FyX29Z95fq3ZjuZqSM3ozaqD67OSpcLIaAgdWEALw_wcB

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340