Glad I had a spare pulley

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,659 mod
…again.  You guys remember my last story about having a spare pulley and saving @LaRea ‘s new owners day?  Well, good thing I bought a replacement.  Yesterday I was on my way to Still pond and all of a sudden while on plane I lost power steering.  At the same time, the admiral saw no water pressure on my vessel view for my stbd motor.  I immediately pulled both throttles to neutral ( for a second I thought it was strange that if I lost a motor how was it that I was still on plane or didn’t feel it boggle down).  I also shut off my port motor as the boat slowed to a stop.  Well, opening the engine hatch, I immediately saw a belt on the engine room floor and a pulley missing.  Luckily I had a spare!   So I thought.  Well, the spare I had was for the grooved pulley, but the one I needed to replace was not grooved and slightly smaller.  Luckily it still worked.  I went to start and get back underway but port motor wouldn’t crank.  I limped over to a marina that kindly let me tie on their fuel dock.  After two hours pulling all 8 plugs, one rear cylinder had water in it, I was able start her up and ran 30 knots to where I am now, in still pond!  Wow do I feel luckily, even with a really busted up knuckle!  I am going to buy two of the other pulleys.  On e to replace the incorrect one installed and the other as a spare.  I have 3 spare belts  as well, in case the groove pulley does something to the back side of the belt on my way home Monday, which I highly doubt.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭✭
    But what happened with the pulley?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,741 mod
    Water in cylinder ... from stopping so fast?  Exhaust flap missing?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,659 mod
    The bearings in the pulley gave up, so the pulley melted and came off.  As far as water in the cylinder, I have exhaust flaps and new (2 yr old) risers and exhaust manifulds.  A mechanic I talked to said it was probably hydrolock, where with the sudden stop the motor may have actually cycled a step backward and ingested a small amount of water.  Motor is running great and no water in the oil.  I'll be changing the oil in a few weeks anyhow, but all is good.  Ordered new pulley today.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2
    I go a step further and keep a spare Rinker 360 that I tow behind mine as a dinghy. I’m here all week, tip your waiters. 
    Dan of Steel
    '05 Rinker 360 Fiesta Vee
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭✭
    I go a step further and keep a spare Rinker 360 that I tow behind mine as a dinghy. I’m here all week, tip your waiters. 
    They used to say in the 80s you had to buy 2 Harleys so you always had one to ride while the other was getting fixed. Thank god AMF went back to doing bowling alleys…

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/