Cruisair AC won't heat -- stuck reverse-cycle valve?

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,741 mod
Another topic for a cold Michigan day.  I have two Cruisair air conditioners that blow cold air when set for reverse-cycle heating.  That generally means the refrigerant reversing valve is stuck.  I've done the usual things:
* Verify that it's programmed to allow heating
* Verify that the valve solenoid is working (checked the magnetic field -- same as a "known good" unit)
* Smack the valve a few times with various devices

Nothing has worked.  Are there any secret tricks I'm missing?

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there anyway to do a reset on the unit? If not, try to remove all power to it and let it sit for a while.
    2008 330EC
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,741 mod
    I did a reset a couple weeks ago.  Just now I turned off power for about 45 minutes.  Then tried cycling between heat and cool a bunch of times.  No joy.
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I got my reverse cycle 16kbtu unit I was told it worked like a heat pump, have you done the magnet test?  

I run off of a 3800 watt genny, I've noticed the ac runs perfectly but on heat will kick the breaker after the first cycle so verify sufficient output voltage.  
    Got plenty of volts ... four of the six units will make heat.  Magnet test -- you mean check that the solenoid is making a magnetic field?  Yes, checked that with the Danfoss app on my phone.  
    edited September 7
    I forgot you have a floating apartment complex at this point.  By magnet test verify it's changing polarity when switching from AC to heat.   I've ran heat maybe twice on my boat.  When air temps dip below 50 it's time to winterize. 
    Thanks @PickleRick I'll try it.  I will also try moving the boat further south!    :D
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    water has to be a certain temp for it to heat.. I can almost never get it to work in the keys lol.. and the AC stops workin above 92 degree water temp.. I have moved on to portable AC's on the bigger boat and my 270 has been on the hard all summer.. just ordered new risers, going to throw her together next weekend and get her back in the water for the winter. Forget selling her for now!! (sorry for the OT)
    edited September 8
    I've never had the boat out past October or in the water earlier than May,  the Marine air unit I have hasn't had an issue with water temps still in the 70s.   

I've never had the boat out in freezing temperatures. 

Those roll around units are handy if you have the space 

Last winter in Virginia during the refit project, I ran reverse-cycle heat almost the entire winter.  They did fine until the river got too cold -- maybe 45*F.  I think they were all working at that time.  
    I have to get waist deep to launch, 45 is well below the cut off for my standards