Air Conditioning Temperature/Humidity sensor

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was cleaning my basement and came across this sensor extension for the air conditioner. Did anyone relocate their sensor? Right now mine is located at the filter on the unit under the V birth. Is that the best place? Or should I use this extension and put it somewhere in the cabin?

2008 330EC

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had thought they were supposed to be at the filter on the intake in order to measure the air temp going in to the unit. Maybe there are some applications where it needs to be measured elsewhere?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 913 ✭✭✭
    I think I had moved mine behind the air intake screen.  Was previously on the ac unit itself. 
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking of getting one to get the cabin space temp vs return.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19
    @ian and @Spyderweb , I would think that makes more sense but there must be a reason they have it on the unit 🤷🏻‍♂️.
    2008 330EC
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    @ian and @Spyderweb , I would think that makes more sense but there must be a reason they have it on the unit 🤷🏻‍♂️.
    My guess is there's simply too many permutations to take into consideration, if they are to have the unit amenable to all configurations ... where do they locate the AC, and where is the cabin relative to that ... another wire to fish, more work .... just easier to have it on the air intake.

I don't know why they don't just put it on the control panel ... and turn it into an ordinary thermostat??

I did have to move mine a bit ... it was far too cold close to the AC, and throwing the temperature measurement off. If you have the extension, I'd certainly try it.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19
    I believe there is a temp sensor in the thermostat panel and it is activated by simply disconnecting the remote temp sensor. 
    Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,736 mod
    edited September 19
    Putting a sensor in the control panel would probably be too unreliable.  Direct sunlight would screw up the readings.  Cruisair says:

"Ideally, the sensor should be located in a reliable return-air stream moving from the room to be controlled to the air conditioner it is plugged into. Locating the sensor on the back of the air conditioner coil is not ideal and can result in false readings for several reasons. It is best to locate the sensor just inside of a return-air grille or passage."
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree in the controller is not ideal due to latent heat from the electronics. Problem with the approach of an RA sensor is I think the return air vent being on the port side of the V has a tendency to draw air across from the supply on the starboard side which in our case has the vanes adjusted to direct air across the dining area to the aft berth. The controller above the port side cupboard shows the temperature but it really isn’t what it shows, we have ours set to 67/68 but it’s not that cold at the controller. I need to play more with the offset setting.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/