Rewiring Engine Hatch Lift Actuator

echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
Long story short, the switch on the dash (or power to it) is broken, but my hatch motor works fine and currently I have some temp cables in the track I can use to jump it open until I get the new switch. I've long wanted to have the hatch run off of the house batteries so I could just flip the helm power switch to lift, rather than the engine switches that I normally leave off. I never understood why they ran it off the starboard engine in the first place, but there's probably a logical reason for it.
So, while I have to crack the dash open to replace the switch, I'm thinking of tapping a 15a fused connection to the helm buss I have and run the new switch off of that power. 
Is there any issue with me doing that? I can't think of any downside. Also, the jumper lugs on the battery switch have never worked and I leave the hatch open over the winter when I yank all the batteries out (I have my own cover). The house has 2 batteries, so I'd think it would be better off that way anyways.
Dan of Steel
'05 Rinker 360 Fiesta Vee

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,736 mod
    I'm guessing the starter battery is more reliable.  You might have a dead house bank from running fridges overnight or whatever, but you're less likely to drain the starter battery.  But I think running from house would be fine too.  

If the override studs don't work, it might be as simple as replacing the diodes.  
  • echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    I ended up reconditioning the existing switch and replacing a bad relay in the engine bay. Works good now and still off of stbd engine battery 
    Dan of Steel
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ended up reconditioning the existing switch and replacing a bad relay in the engine bay. Works good now and still off of stbd engine battery 
    Which relay was it? I have the same issue. 
  • echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Which relay was it? I have the same issue. 
    Mine was on the forward wall of the engine bay (360) and seemed to be aftermarket and not factory. 
    Dan of Steel