Boat on trailer and Milton

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
So...I'm in sanford, fl which is about 20 miles North of Orlando.  Really nice town on the st johns river, founded as a city late late 1800. But now we have Milton and we have the same setup as NC with a lot of standing water and full lakes and rivers. Thankfully our state is generally porous,  at some point even we get full- and then storm surge on both coasts! Exciting!
So I brought our boat home so I could take the cover off- I will remove the storage from around the helm before the storm hits- we are looking at perhaps 90 gusts. I'm going to hook the trailer chains to my truck and keep it elevated so it drains. What else can I really do? It's a 270... how about you Jeff in the keys? There will be significant tide issues. 

I've lived in fl all my life, a little on and off- Dad born here too. This one has been worrisome since it started..

Comments

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8
    We had gusts up to about 90 mph last Friday about 5 am and lasted until about 10am.   Towns within a short driving distance, half an hour or so got wiped off the face of the earth with 20-30 inches of rain.   We got hit with Hugo in this area, came to shore maybe 5 hrs away. Hugo was still a cat 1 when it hit us.   Didn't do this much damage/flooding although it went a little further north to Charlotte NC rather than Asheville/Appalachian 

I trailer stored the boat as usual with a tarp over it.

In the wind the tarp blew over a bow rail and filled with water, putting a bit of a bend in the bow rail.  

I bent it back, waited 3 days for Amazon to bring me a new tarp.

Winds were not much worse than what I see when trailering at 65-70mph.   

I store with the bow jacked up high,  the bilge pump easily handled any rain the hard top didn't keep out. 

I have pretty good side and rear wind protection from trees, homes and a garage.   A big enough gust from the side could flip a top heavy boat on a trailer. 

• TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭

I store with the bow jacked up high,  the bilge pump easily handled any rain the hard top didn't keep out. 
    Good point about the wind and trailering!

Why not just pull the garboard plug? Then you don't need to worry about the bilge pump/battery.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras why not leave it hitched to the truck, and drive the truck and boat north? I get you are a bit north of where Milton is going, but looking at the projections I'd still drive north and try to get out of the state of Florida if I were in your shoes. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

edited October 8
    TonyG13 said:

Good point about the wind and trailering!

Why not just pull the garboard plug? Then you don't need to worry about the bilge pump/battery.
    Hard top plus 4 two inch scuppers that most 28 cruisers don't have.  The reason why they are so popular with pnw offshore fishing 
    edited October 9
    Or make sure you're insurance premiums and coverage are up to par in hurricane wind/flooding and leave it behind.  Post pics of the new upgraded boat if things go bad. 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do have it hitched to the truck out front- cover off etc. If it flips off the trailer,  I hope it goes in the yard. Insurance is up to date. 
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭✭
    Stay safe Ras.  Let us know how you are after it all passes.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rough day in FL. Hope you're all good up there.. was kind of a nonevent, so far, down in the keys. 
    We made it through without losing power- no damage around the house I can see- the tornadoes were crazy- they were large like mid west ones- we don't see those. There was some heavy damage around tge state but nothing like what just happened in the Carolinas.
  • captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 262 ✭✭
    Glad to hear things worked out. Scary stuff.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
    The east coast seemed to have taken a worse hit than the west coast- crazy storm
    Glad you made it out ok.  It is still bad up here.  FEMA has been confiscating donations and sending volunteers home,  not just clean up crews but EMS/first responders/swift water rescue teams.  Some areas have kicked FEMA out due to their lack of getting anything done and causing complications/hindering clean up efforts.   Hope you guys make out better down there with getting things back to normal.  
  • captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 262 ✭✭
    Crazy stuff. My dad has a place in Bonita Springs very close to beach. Maybe 9 feet above sea level. They got a few inches of water on the 1st floor. Much better then Ian when they got 6 ft.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury , glad you’re okay and no damage. 
    @captkevin , hopefully won’t be too bad of a clean up for him. Could’ve definitely been much worse.
    2008 330EC
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,497 admin
    @rasbury Glad your OK and @captkevin Glad to hear only min damage and it wasn't worse. 

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    edited October 11
    I have no complaints-20 miles from me got 16" of water in a few hours- we got maybe 2" and no damage...