Oil Change

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 12 in Engine Discussions
Had the yard call this morning asking if we can come in early (tomorrow) instead of later this week. Marine forecast calls for small craft advisory and up to 13 footers starting tomorrow night and into the week.

So I won't have a chance to change the oil before I bring the boat in. I usually change it and have fresh oil in for winter lay-up. Question is: Would it be horrible leaving the old oil in over the winter? It will be about 50 hours on the engine since I last changed it.

Edit: I did have Blackstone Labs do an oil analysis at 25 hours and this is what that report said: "The 5.4 TBN showed plenty of active additive left to run longer. Wear metals either stayed the same or decreased, which is what we want to see after a shorter oil run, so all looks well mechanically. Good work!" (It's Quicksilver 25W-40 Synthetic Blend.)
Post edited by TonyG13 on

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say you good. Just make sure to warm the oil up really well when you do change it.
    2008 330EC
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're good. Still has additive and as long as there is no moisture in it 👍🏾

My friends boat hasn't had an oil change in about 4 years and it has 100s of hours each year. He sends the samples in and as long as they check out good then no oil change. It is getting an oil change this winter. These are very different engines from gas though. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Plan is to take some samples tomorrow when I drop it off and we'll go from there.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always change the oil in the spring rather than the fall. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 262 ✭✭
    You should be all good
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The idea is to change at the end of the season so there are not contaminates in your engine while laid up. 

That being said,  oil is 100% better in 2024 than it was in 1995.  3k oil changes are now 7.5k changes in most motors. 

You're probably good but I wouldn't make a habit out of it.

You can run Rotella 15w40 t4 oil in nearly any Chevy inboard, it's 14 bucks a gallon on walmart.com.  a wix oil filter is less than 20 bucks from your favorite local auto parts supplier. 

Engine oil change is about the cheapest diy part of boat ownership.

• goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Pickle. I had the inside of one of my oil pans leak through and had to replace it. I think it was probably more that the p/o hardly ever changed his oil. I was surprised how bad the inside of the pan looked. Having said that if you change it annualy I am sure you will be okay.