Options

Rinker 310 Passenger seating in rough water

I've been looking at the newish 310s for a while - I really love the open cockpit layout, but I'm a little bit concerned about the comfort about riding in choppy (or downright rough) water in any position but the drivers.  It seems like sitting sideways would get quickly uncomfortable  - anyone out there have some actual experience with this layout?  How does the boat handle in rough water otherwise?

Comments

• Options
    strickstrick Member Posts: 6
    Good thoughts.  The wrap around bench seating kept me from getting serious on this model, and I agree, would get uncomfortable.  The rear seats would certainly be the most stable and comfortable, but would have no visibility forward.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    yes, that tends to be a problem on a lot of boat models.  It's a trade-off between having nice entertaining seating and seating appropriate for serious cruising.  Most seem to be for the entertaining side of it.  If you can get used to not seeing forward, the seats in the back are by far the most comfortable and have less bounce on any choppy day.  (but I do like to always have someone helping on the lookout)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Generally speaking for conventional planing hulls, the farther forward you go, the worse you'll feel the wave impacts.  Riders will usually be most comfortable sitting as far astern as possible (if, as the others said, they don't mind losing forward visibility).  

In really rough weather, forward visibility becomes more important because you need to see a big wave and brace for the impact.  

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Neal,

I have a 342 which has the side seat like the one I think we are talking about.

They are just fine in my opinion.  I have never had a guest ask me why the seat does not face forward.  Rough water does not seem to be an issue with the side seat either.  By not an issue, I mean the roughness determines how fast I go.  When the boat starts to pound we go right to displacement speed so it always works out well for the side seat.

The amount of storage under that seat is remarkable.

For me boats are kind of like wives.  Most people only have one so they get comfortable with all the pluses and minuses.  Or if not, there may be a second.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Yeah, what RinkerYan said!  I hear you can get a great deal on a single-owner 2003 Rinker 342 for just $63,499, and the owner is willing to negotiate price.

By the way, the 342 will stay on plane as slow as 15 mph if you run with trim tabs and outdrives all the way down.  No need to slow to displacement speed in rough weather.  
  • Options

For me boats are kind of like wives.  Most people only have one so they get comfortable with all the pluses and minuses.  Or if not, there may be a second.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

Don't let Pat see that one!
    ;)

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Tony's referring to practicing polygamists. :D Darn puritans wreck the best ideas when it comes to additional crew. Now interviewing for Foredeck, Galley, Polishing and General Snacktitian.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a 2013 EC 310 for the entire summer. You fill that baby with gas, water, drinks/food and it smashes waves flat. Didn't even feel 3 footers. This summer had 8 npeople on it and took it through 3' foot waves for 30 minutes at 3600 rpm. No problems. No complaints. Just a lot of laughing. We have ordered an EC 360. I have been in friends 350s and 360s - in my opinion they have no where near the entertaining capability of that 310. It's cockpit is awesome. Everyone who comes aboard can't believe the size of it. With the pull out couch its like a rear u shaped bench as an option. The admiral and I thought long and hard about losing all of that! In the end, for us, cabin space won over cockpit space pure and simple. As you know if you have a roomy aft berth ( like the 340, 360,) you have the raised and fixed helm with the u shaped aft cockpit seats or you have a harder to get into rear berth (like the EC 310) with the wide open cockpit. it's a tough choice. MT
  • Options

Pat helped me compose that bit of wisdom.

Tony

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I ever get a decent sized floater, it will be for one reason alone: trolling the docks for young, limber and agile ladies... And I'm going to want them facing me.. and God help them, they better be strong swimmers if they spill my grog and blame rough seas.....

Seriously.....
  • Options
    Okay Drew, so you HAVE been on a EC 310. Why do you think it was so easy for me to get the Admiral to let me at a 360? :-) MT
  • Options
    As for you Tony you obviously like life on the edge - a SECOND wife? What the first doesn't take her lawyer will - don't you know who has the biggest boats in the marina? MT
  • Options
    As it is, I'm happily married and don't plan on changing that, so the plot is ludicrous... And.. my wife is an attorney, so the notion I'd escape alive with more than a rhino lined cardboard box with an oar is maybe even more far fetched... :-)

I would like to own one though... I'd name it 'the dog house'.. I'd spend mucho time there..
  • Options
    As it is, I'm happily married and don't plan on changing that, so the plot is ludicrous... And.. my wife is an attorney, so the notion I'd escape alive with more than a rhino lined cardboard box with an oar is maybe even more far fetched... :-) I would like to own one though... I'd name it 'the dog house'.. I'd spend mucho time there..

ahhh...that explains a lot! ;;)   I hit the 17 yr mark with my wife on Saturday.

• Options
    congrats Mr. Inn!!!!! I hope you've prepared!!! :-D
  • Options

Funny story.  My second wife has the same exact name as my first  Except for an additional letter "e" in the middle name.  My accountant quipped, "it looks like the only thing you did was change numbers."

Wives (2)

Boats (1)

Tony

• Options
    edited September 2013
    A 310 would be a nice upgrade for us as FV270 owners but honestly considering how much we enjoy traveling with ours we're very satisfied with the whole package as it stands. Like MT said I can't imagine the side seats would be an issue. They certainly aren't in our slightly smaller boat even a rougher day.

On the other hand (just like that 2nd wife situation for Tony :D ) if the right boat/addl wife deal fell in our lap (pun intended)......who knows......Hey a guy can dream.

Mike n Kelli boating as a team for 35years. It just might be the right combination, and where would we put addl crew anyway....  :ar!

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options

35 years!  How kool is that! 

We are planning on getting all we can.  We got started as a team later in life so I don't know where the 35th year will be for us but I am pretty sure it will be somewhere other than aboard the Salt Shaker.

>:P

Tony

• Options

35 years!  How kool is that! 

We are planning on getting all we can.  We got started as a team later in life so I don't know where the 35th year will be for us but I am pretty sure it will be somewhere other than aboard the Salt Shaker.

>:P

Tony

Well, being I've had a few drinks with you & Pat, I can say that in 35 years you will be aboard the "old salt" shaker!
    :P

• Options
    nealjnealj Member Posts: 2
    I think a 342 would be a great option if the right one came along.  The 'L' shaped seating is a pretty interesting feature and since I see that both Bayliner and SeaRay have both copied it I'm guessing that its been pretty popular.  I'll certainly be keeping my eyes out for a good buy!
  • Options
    jmoen438jmoen438 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    I'm right with you Tiki, that 310 I've been drooling over might come up for sale this winter. Be curious to see how the numbers run. Right now the Admiral wants to upgrade the house instead of the boat, this is gonna be a tough sell.
  • Options
    Jmoen, Sounds like the peaceful solution would be the house upgrade, and the 310 waits until the new house dust settles. As famously said on "My Big Fat Greek Wedding: The man my be the head but the wife is the neck".  ;;) They have a mysterious power that softens our resolve eh?

Have a great Fall season and happy house hunting.... MnK :)>-