Options

Faria RPM guage issue

thmsmclthmsmcl Member Posts: 7

Hello all - I have dual vintage 2008 Merc 350s and drives. I have Faria gauges which the port RPM appears to be tripping on acid. The starboard would never have any such issue.

My intention is to:

A. Check connection behind dash

B. Check connection at transducer

C. Crap, the easy stuff was A,B

D . Hit this forum

When it eventually comes to D, is this a common problem seen many times before? If yes, is it typically a guage, cable, or transducer issue? If No, I'll let you know 4 weeks from now after I replace each part only to find it was the last. Thanks in advance TM

Post edited by thmsmcl on

Comments

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Lots of posts here regarding erratic Faria tachometers.... a common problem. Check the obvious connections but chances are you have a typical Faria tach.

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

The problems that you will eventually give up and only get a replacement tach when the bad one is truly defunct.  Until then you will learn the Faria tap dance.  And you will start looking only at the one that gives good readings and use the sync gage to get both engines on the same page.

I have been doing the Faria tap dance for 7 years and I have replaced gages twice when they truly died.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trick is nothing is a drop-in.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    BD said "nothing is a drop in". The Faria gauges in my '04 FV270 have a proprietary plug (see pic) but it can be worked around with a little effort. Resetting an embedded hour meter is an issue.

At $150 for a warranted replacement (that would still be unreliable) from Faria I just went with a $40 Teledyne tach (w/o an hr meter) from my local marine surplus outfitter after ringing out the wires. The faceplate is black but it's reliable. Merc Smartcraft gauges are the best option and just disregard the Faria gauges.

My .02c  Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I have a Faria TAPometer.

Knock knock
    Who's there?
    Faria!

• Options
    vquadvquad Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    Tapometer...that's funny right there

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    ShaunShaun Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Ok, I am now on my second Rinker boat and both had had the ole' reliable Faria tapometers. What I do not understand is why Rinker ( Steve please chime in and help me understand) installs these truly aggravating pieces of crap. I have owned numerous boats and been in friends boats and have never seen tach's this bad. My dad has a bottom of the line Cutter with a Faria tach and it works fine. Why do we have to deal with this garbage and why does Rinker not do something to retrofit a better system. I would gladly pay I just want a tach that works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've decided to wage a small war against Faria, and take every opportunity to bad-mouth them I get..

the thing that truly bothers me:

it's not like it's cutting edge technology that they are implementing... it's been around since the flippin' seventies, and pulse voltage (non computer but coil samples) since much earlier than that.. it's not like they are using chromed or anodized brass rings, and crystal lenses on their gauges- it's plastic throughout.. it's plain and simple: they are cutting quality of material and craftsmanship, which cuts deeply into production costs, yet they are continuing to charge a premium price.

my fuel gauge just soiled the sheets.. faria.. this after just replacing a 'no longer in production' tach for $150... tell me what's difficult about building a gauge with decent isolation of voltage again? ....

I'm thinking, by spring, I'll have an entire new set of gauges on my dash- none faria, and all for the cost of one faria replacement tachometer.. it will work just as good, and by the time I'm done it will look just as good.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replaced mine with a Smart Craft System Tachometer. Best money I spent.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Mark-I am glad you like the Smart Craft. I know of 4 people which changed the Faria out and love the new gauges.  I am also going to replace all the Faria Gauges during the winter. Did you get the individual gauges or did you go with the MercMonitor System?
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serenity - the system tach is a stand alone unit, BUT you can get link gauges and hook them into the supplied harness. I took my fuel sending unit signal and plugged it into my system gauge, and in doing so lost the reading on my faria fuel tank level gauge. This winter I am going to replace it with a smart craft fuel level link gauge. It apparently is a 15 minute install, plug and play.

Rinkeryan - swap out and plug into your engine electronics (assuming you have a modern engine with link connections. I think you need a system gauge per engine, although I did see one that seemed to have two tachs on the same gauge, just dont know if it was Smart Craft.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Yan, does your signal originate from the alternator?
  • Options
    You can steal signal from a lot of places... Some use a flexplate signal.. some use injector signal.. if you steal it from somewhere, you can calibrate the gauge, or use external diodes or potentiometers to dial it in, and use a standard gauge from a gasser.