Options

Door County

Honey Bunny & I are trying to decide where we should tow the 246 to next year and I was thinking Door County, but will the 246 handle Lake Michigan alright? On the one side of the peninsula is Green Bay, and we would probably stay on the Green bay side, around Ephraim and Sister Bay, but maybe also an excursion to Washington Island and around the Lake Michigan side to about Whitefish Dunes area. Any one have any experience in this area with a similar size bowrider? Its about a 400 mile (800 round trip) haul and I want to be confident that we'll do ok before we resolve to go there.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll be protected from all but the east winds. You just have to watch the weather on the lake and plan for it. Many people are out on similar size boats.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MadcowMadcow Member Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    I have my 2004 232 Captiva on Lake Michigan.

Boat: 2004 232 Capitva CC

Boat Name: Mixed Nutz

• Options
    It's really a matter of watching the weather and lake conditions.  Door County is a gem by boat.  Enjoy!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Glassguy;  In the late 80s I cruised all of Northern Lake Michigan in a 24 ft cruiser with wife and 3 small kids. Very doable  and tons of fun. I would always throw a few weather days into the itinerary.I was always an early morning port hopper because of calmer seas in the A.M.  Now , after visiting 115 ports in 4 Great Lakes ,  I can honestly say that Northern Lk. Mi. and Door County are tops on the list.  Have fun  .   .
  • Options
    RW: i'm planning a trip your way next summer. St. Ignace has a great new marina there I know. I have an Aunt/Uncle who have lived there for prob 50 years now. Spent many a weekend visiting. :)

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    We have been to Door County before, but sans boat, and know it is a beautiful area. Last time we were there I was thinking, "It would really be nice to have a boat up here....hmmmm....if only we had a boat!"
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Door Country and no boat? It sounds like an awesome place. If were called Table Country this might be the cure....Sorry. I couldn't resist :D

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    BD;   Hope I am up there when you visit.Blue hull 342 in slip 102.  Transient dockage is never a problem. Be sure to checkout Lelands new facility on your way up the lake. Also ,  If stopping in Mack City , stay at the newer Straits State Harbor..