Options

No Hour Meter

SpeysideSpeyside Member Posts: 1
I am looking at (buying) a used 1995 Rinker Fiesta Vee 265 (anniversary edition). The seller says it has no hour meter. This concerns me. Did this boat originally have an hour meter? If yes, where was it? Any other comments or advice?

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2001 242 FV has no hour meter also
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its efi and pcm controlled, a scanner can pull hours... If its thunderbolt 5, or even 4, I ~think~ you can pull hours, and knock counts, but that's it.
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.

If it even had one, the hour meter might have been integrated into the tach. I replaced my Faria tach/hour meter at 204hrs due to its general inconsistency. The Teledyne tach I now have doesn't have an hour meter so I'll have to add one separately after getting a Merc mech put a reader on the engine to see where it stands....or not.

You should always hire a surveyor (completely unrelated to the seller or broker) to check the boat systems before buying. While interviewing surveyors simply ask if they have a scanner to check for engine issues (like Drew said) and to check the current hours too. There are two main engine mfgs Mercruiser and Volvo so you'll want to be specific when you ask. Always have the surveyor on-board for the seatrial. Also, make sure to have him test the fuel tank as older aluminum tanks can fail in any boat and that's a failure you don't want to experience. If the outdrive hasn't been pulled in over two years (for a saltwater boat) it may not be a happy experience either.

Now we open Pandoras box of personal opinion on engine preference.......myself, it'd be limited to a Merc I/O strictly for the ease of maintenance and parts. Volvo drives of that vintage usually didn't fare very well. I'll leave it at that.

Good luck in your search and let us know how it goes. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl