Options

America's Cup

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

I know we're all about power boats, but how about that finish in the America's Cup!  8 wins in a row to take the wine 9-8!!  Amazing!  Would've loved to have seen some of the races!  If anyone was there, please post pics for us!!  I remember both times when the volvo race around the world stopped in my area.  We went out both times to watch them.  I can only imagine with the hydrofoils, these things would be fun to watch!

http://www.americascup.com/

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Options
    l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

I did not get to the Bay to watch the racing but did watch on TV. I am sure the pic and video on TV are way better than what I could have gotten. Private boats were kept a long ways away. I was also in the process of buying a house for the last month and a half which kept me quite busy. Signed papers at title company Tuesday will get keys Friday. At least the next race will be here in the US. quite a finish.

Len

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sailboat technology took and enormous leap forward with the R$D that came out of those amazing rocket ships in SF. We were formerly hard core sailors but I was never satisfied at 7kts(mostly 3kts if I wasn't frustrated and motoring). We'll see if there is some amount of trickle down tech from these new cats into the racing clubs.

Interestingly enough Hobie built a very fast twin sail foiler for production many years ago and they were wildly innovative. Do a quick Youtube search for Hobie Trifoiler to see how the tech has surged forward. Here's one video link of a local Sarasota guy from years ago (TRI-FOILER YOUTUBE LINK).

The French guys that started the whole foiler revolution had a boat called the Hydropetere (YOUTUBE LINK). Balls of frikkin steel and incredibly ingeniou$$. Ragboats to stinkpots on a beer budget....That's me, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out the Melges sailboats. Fast and very light.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Americas Cup boats are like NASA and the Melges boats are definitely fast for the above average sailor but there's something mystical about these boats rising out of the water and accelerating at a wicked pace without props and fuel.

Just found this catamaran foiler for the fairly regular guy(speed junky) and it stirs my sailin' soul. 26kts in a 9kt breeze. But where would I keep my flatscreen, cooler and rum and I'm not sure the Admiral would understand the need for a helmet......until the first major crash. I really need to get busier at work... B-)

(YOUTUBE LINK)
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl