Options

batteries

I have a 2003 342 and wondering would I be better off using two 6v. wired for 12v. instead of using two 12v. for my house system?

Comments

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    WEIGHT is the factor

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get AGM batteries, series 31. Read up on them on West Marine or Deka Penn websites. I had 4. 0ne for each motor (350 Mag. MPI)  and 2 in parallel for house. They are beasts 1000MCA - 190 Reserve Minutes - 105 Amp Hours. As I said they're beasts. Remember to wire house in parallel correctly, most marinas don't know how. MT
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure your charger can handle AGM types too. The 2003 342 OEM charger cannot.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    You might want to check the price for a newer model Intellipower charger as they can charge Flooded Cell, AGM and Gel batteries just by selecting the battery chemistry you want. This topic has been discussed extensively in the past. As well as BD's advice it is also recommended to NOT mix battery chemistries. MT
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    just curious why you are considering 6V batteries?  Are they golf cart batteries? I have heard boaters have very good luck with golf cart batteries and use large banks of them for their house batteries.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much higher draw capacity from 6v wired up to get 12v output.  But the physical size and weight are big downsides, literally.  You have a genset on the 342, so why bother with the high draw capacity of 6v and all the bother that comes with them and the cost (they are not cheap).

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BD is right - most of the older chargers can NOT properly charge the AGM batteries. The issue is that most AGM batteries charge 40% faster that standard batteries so they can be overcharged by a charger that can not be set to AGM. That said, an Intellipower charge that will charge any type of battery and has numerous other features is very reasonably priced ( I think around $40.00) and easy to replace. For me I'd replace the charger and go AGM. The batteries are beasts. I ran two fridges at 3/4 setting for almost a day many times at anchor and the batteries were no where near discharged. On my new 360 I'll use 2 series 31 Deka Penn AGMs for starting batteries and either 4 of them for house batteries or get two 4 D AGMs if I can fit them in. MT