Options

Bow Anchor Pulpit

SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
I own a 2005 320. Last weekend was the second time in a month a boat hit my bow anchor roller. I have a bulkhead slip so I back in. When the wind kicks up it is like bumper boats in my marina-People just do not have an issue going out in the heavy wind--there is more of a show just sitting at the dock--but in my case at a cost. Now back to my question. I went out yesterday and saw my anchor pulpit is loose-when I used the windlass to pull the anchor up-I saw it has some movement. Does anyone know if the pulpit is screwed in or thru bolted into the anchor locker. I looked at the pulpit and there are Phillips heads under the chain. I then pulled the anchor locker access out but it was dark and I could not see inside. Will I need to hire a long thin person or one with a 6 foot arm reach to access the nuts? I am assuming there are nuts in the anchor locker. 

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to reach/see spots are laid low by your trusty smart phone camera. I had an impossible decision of how to inspect and repaint my oil pan without pulling the engine that was made possible by simply shooting and inspecting pics with the phone camera as I prepped and painted without getting my eyes anywhere near it. It made a 1hour job out of what would have been a huge event.

As for your bow roller, I'd hope it was screwed into an embedded plate that was glassed into the deck during layup.....or (not so great) it might have been installed before the deck was attached to the hull, which would make getting to those bolts quite a chore. Good luck with those pics. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I would say you have nuts on the underside in your locker.  I had inspected mine earlier this year and that was the result.  I reached in with a flashlight to find them.  It will be a two-person job with one below and one at the pulpit.  Take some pics when you get it removed.  & good luck with all those boaters that can't handle the wind!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    TietsortTietsort Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    We replaced our pulpit. Yes they are machine screws with nuts/ washers. I had to tape a wrench to a pipe and a nut with the nylon to the wench . It was a little bit of a challenge but it's nice to have piece mind that they won't vibrate off.
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Mine was loose this year as well. I suspect yours is similar to my 360. My front bolt was bent and the glass seems almost a bit rotted. So I removed the old bolt using a long breaker bar and socket, and the wife turned the screwdriver above deck. I installed a new bolt and a much bigger washer, it was actually an ss plate thats about 4 inches long, and then a new lock nut. It was a chore getting a new nut on there. I had to tape the plate and nut to the socket. But now it's nice and sturdy. I torqued the other bolts while I was down there and I'll likely add larger washers next season on those.