Options

auto pilot or heading control

I have a FV 270 and I'm tired of the poor heading control.  While operating in no wake zones the boat falls off and

is from one side to the other.  All I want is an inexpensive heading controller that can be added to the helm.

I don't want the anything real fancy I just want to hold a heading so the thing will follow a straight line.

Boat Man Fran

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. I feel your pain, as does every captain/pilot of a high freeboard, no keel, single engine express cruiser. The only real solution to this is anticipating the drift and trying not to over correct. It's just the nature of the beast.

If it's any consolation, I've owned other boats with an AP and they all over steer to some extent. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    pilotmanfranpilotmanfran Member Posts: 6

Thanks for the attempt at consoling me Mike.......it's just that during long periods of slow operation this thing gives me no relief.  Thought a heading controller would keep me from sawing on the wheel and give me a few minutes of peace.  All but one of my other single engine cruisers have performed the same.

Fran

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our 270 certainly weaves around at low speed and it can be tiresome. On our other boats an AP was only used off-shore during long open transits. A no-wake zone usually implies a more congested or limited navigation zone where relief from the helm might be hazardous. That said our AP on the last boat was about $1000 for parts. A basic AP system for a 270 would probably be double that. That sounds like a pretty fancy number to me.

Here's a link to a recent AP discussion on this forum. Hope that helps. Mike

(AP TOPIC LINK)
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl