NOAA

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
You can thank all our fine elected officials in Congress for shutting down NOAA today.  Meanwhile they get paid to get nothing done, must be nice!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Nice............. Wish I could stay home without getting in trouble and get paid.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank God I'm a contract employee and not GS like 90% of my office... They went home today as soon as their furlough letters arrived... Which leaves me to carry their weight.. let's hope nothing happens... The three/thirty rule is going to suck going in solo.. :-) , but at least there will be affordable health care if I get blown up............... Riiiiiiight?
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    OY Vey. I priced my new and improved health care option yesterday and here's the square deal. If I drop coverage for my 2 early twenties kids and double my deductible to $10k my premium for my wife and I in our early 50s is $1000 mth. That means we could be $20,000+ out of pocket with premiums and deductibles before I get catastrophic relief if we have a common loss. Exactly 3 times what I would have paid just last year. Oh yeah, you think you'll be able to keep your old plan.... my old plans rates skyrocketed to phase out clients like us who might want to keep our plan. Just call the whole debacle a consumer tax shell game and get over it.

For Gods sake there's a new "affordable" option called an unlimited deductible that they actually charge a premium for. UH....unlimited deductible....who could that actually help except the company.

The poor with less than $12k annual?? They actually get no coverage but instead they go straight to their states medicaid indigent care(which is what was already in-place). If you've seen how that works just know that the reality sucks.

The icing is a trillion more dollars in national debt for my grand kids. Frikken genius. All praise the savior in the white house who never even chaired a committee before being elected, and screw the greedy self serving idiots running our country on both sides of the isle.

I still hope I wake up and the last 12yrs are just a horrible nightmare of botched foreign policy, mortgage irresponsibility and unregulated bailouts. Sorry. Its a sore spot. Mike
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Number one reason for filing personal backruptcy: medical costs.  Both political parties are 'owned' by pharma, device makers and insurance companies (amongst others).  So don't expect and rational fixes.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    rational fix: term limits.... no more income than mean average of area represented+10% and expenses... no bills introduced that contain anything not related to title of bill... no lobbyist... if it's good for the people, it's good for the legislators..

you know, common sense and fairness...

meanwhile, the farce continues-

wanna read something of interest? read up on the sale of closed post offices and how one and only one broker/agency has responsibility of selling... read up on who owns that real estate company, and stands to make from 600M to 1.3B from this... <- this kind of crap is what those folks are all about... there is zero interest outside of their own gain for any constituents.
    M2 w/tripod weighs 128lbs less ammo... receiver and barrel weigh 98... it's mostly used for grazing fire, or to provide cover..

go with M240's... ammo is cheaper and more abundant..
    John Roberts was a Bush appointee.  He also said the police can take your DNA without a conviction and keep it (which in reality means not just yours, but anyone related to you too).  He also opened the flood gates to the money in politics with "Citizens United".  All this and more c/o a fine 'conservative'.  lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Most of what I normally use at NOAA is still up with the header saying:

"Due to the Federal Government shutdown, NOAA.gov and most associated web sites are unavailable. However, because the information this site provides is necessary to protect life and property, it will be updated and maintained during the Federal Government shutdown".

Now what was the water temp and airspeed under my favorite palm tree??? hmm nice today. At least congress/senate can't screw up a good weather day.....yet. It all seems so completely out of my control that when I get wracked by the whole convoluted mess I turn to the sea and the Captain for direction.....Captain Morgan that is...Remedy to situation: apply internal salve liberally when hopelessly out numbered by morons in charge.

......and WHY do they rope off statues, memorials and close parks (closing buildings I get, but parks?) when the government isn't "open"??? Photo opps or to deter the assembly of a disatified electorate I suppose. I say a good public humiliation and whipping with a cane (like they do in Indonesia) of self serving officials might create a stir and some over due determination.  >:)  But we're above that now..... and we get what we get.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Curiously, the Obama care page is operational... Seriously...
    Diesel and rum are plentiful down here RY. :D 

When you feel overwhelmed just turn to the sea.....and don't forget the Captain...
    On top of it all: find a better place to live. :)

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Just where would you go with your $1 million and your boat? Serious.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    RinkerYan said:
    If I had a Million bucks like MT, I would leave this country and take my Rinker with me!.

Come on up!  The water is fine!  And bring your diesels too!

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    As far as I am concerned Obama is a bold face liar. He said if you were happy with your plan you can keep it. Bull! I pay for my own coverage. I received a letter today from Aenta informing me that I cannot keep my plan and I will have to buy a new ACA plan. I checked the exchange. I am 40 and my wife is 36 and we have a 9 year old daughter. Our rate would go from $600.00 per month to almost $1,000.00. The coverage isn't even any good. It is a 60/40 plan with a $5,000.00 deductible no dental, and no prescription. That would be another $200.00. WTF! I had everything in one policy 80/20 with a $2,500.00 deductible for just below $600.00 a month. I am so ****. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
    @Mark
    Canada is a great place, I'm with you on that - been there many many times, but RY would have a problem with the medical system, taxes and his .50 caliber mounted on his bow.  lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    My wife and I run our business through a corporation, with no employees. Literally a "Mom & Pop." We heretofore qualified as a "group" with Anthem Blue Cross. We learned yesterday that Obamacare makes husband-wife "groups" illegal, our coverage will be dropped. So much for "if you like your current health plan, you can keep it"

News of this has not broken with the media yet, but it will and there are going to be a lot of unhappy Moms and Pops. Meanwhile big corporations get a one year delay on the mandate? This just ain't right. I have a lot of Democrat friends here in Cali of course (I'm independent,)  and even the staunchest liberal Obama fans are getting disillusioned over what is looking more and more like a total cluster.

Andy
  • mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Medical system, taxes and gun control..... . now that's a discussion!!

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

Screwed without a kiss. Panama or Spain for us. Please send a million bucks. :D
    I joined the corps out of high school, and pulled eight years... I was a combat veteran by the time I was 22 years old (somalia, haiti).. I got out during Clinton's tenure, and due to alterations on retirement (max for me would have been 35%@20), which was later repealed. I owned and operated a small retail and wholesale chain of cigar and wine shops for six years, then went back to service as a contractor in '02... I was paid handsomely due to my experiences whilst a marine. I've been to all the nasty spots in the eleven (working my twelfth year now) years with the company...

I've done nasty crap, and supported nasty crap... It was because it was better that somebody due it so somebody else wouldn't have to.. I was married last year and she had my first child in Feb.. I interact with idealistic young servicemen every day, their senior leaders, and I just want to slap them into the reality I know to be factual, now... I look at my seven month old little girl and I fear for her, and know her future wont be as secure as mine was, and her opportunities limited.. I think back to mogadishu and recall thinking the first time we went through the seaport into no mans land, and on into the city- we were the first foreigners in there since the Blackhawk down four months previous (and twenty years ago today)... My fanny was puckered.. I was armed to the teeth.. I was the lead vehicle driver.. once in the city, I lost all fear as I looked at that little tourist destination that had been totally ruined by the actions of greedy men and thought "this isn't THAT much different than hometown USA, anywhere USA"... Those thoughts go through my head today more than ever, but not because it surprises me, but because I didn't think I would live to see it.. I now think I will.. I know my innocent little girl will.. I fought and fought nasty to keep what I thought was my countries liberty intact, so folks raising kids, which is something I never expected, could live in relative comfort, and security...

I now see the enemy wasn't on all those distant grounds, but elected brothers and sisters.. and there you have it.. we were aiming and firing at who we were told were enemies by who turns out to be the true enemy of what we thought we were fighting for.. twisted, no?

Integrity is gone long gone, and these guys force things on us we almost to a man refuse... What is the definition of tyranny again?

I feel ashamed more now than ever of the things I've done in my life and question the motivation up the chain of command to the very top.. I wonder how long that farce has actually been going on, or if we're just becoming keen to it..

This is not the country I bled and drew blood for. It isn't, and that makes me sad beyond anything I could express if you were sitting across from me right now, much less anything I can type.
    Read the famous speech: "War is a racket". Done after WWI by a US Marine General.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    The Paris peace accord in 1919 is an eye opener, and the reason we're fighting much of today's wars.
  • BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

my marina is on a National Park. I got a letter saying that the park is closed due to the shut down. I may take my boat out, but since the park is closed, I may not bring it back. hahahaha what kind of sense does that make?

and who's gonna enforce that? rangers that are home due to the same shut down? hahaha

ponderous!

• nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Corps of Engineers boat ramps all over have newly installed barricades across them lest someone put their boat in the water. Now these ramps never have actual federal employees stationed at them, so why do they need closed when the Gov't is "closed"? Showmanship, that is why!! Also, we keep talking about the upcoming default when the gov't will "run out of cash" to pay its bills and service its debt. Well if the d*mned gov't is closed then shouldn't the bills be stopping and if we aren't processing paychecks to gov't employees and SS checks to old people or welfare to poor people shouldn't the gov't be flush with cash? NOTE: the IRS website makes it extremely clear that while they will NOT be processing any refunds, you darn well better be making all of your payments to them - again the gov't should be flush with cash. It is ALL games - on both sides.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

Dave, it's my position at this point in time and after a career of watching smoke meet mirrors, that there is no side of the aisle from the perspective of legislators or executive types... there is the diversion that is systematically perpetuated, but behind closed doors there is no division.. we watch the pony show and believe one thing, while something all together different is the reality...

The barricades simply enforce the concept (intentionally or not) that the gvmt owns the property NOT the people. Limiting access to ANY previously unsecured open space like ramps/parks/memorials is complete BS.

Is Arlington cemetery, and other national cemeteries, boarded up for security reasons?? My VERY dead grandfather buried in Arlington with honors after years of service protecting our freedom as a marine and decades as a beat cop in D.C. is probably trying to get out of this embarrassing mess. If he shows up at the gate I'd recommend they let him pass without requesting security credentials....he might be a little testy.