x

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in Engine Discussions

x

Post edited by Michael T on

Comments

• pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    I went to the Merc site, I didn't see the cover that you talk about. I'll keep looking.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    MT, I agree with enjoying the sound.  That was the first thing I noticed when I moved up in size.  That deeper sound is great!  If you find a picture, I'm sure we'd all love to see this new cover.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

edited November 2014

x

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now there's a sweet power plant that my boat deserves. I had to look twice at the cowling, wondering why you'd post a pic of a 2.8........then realized it reads the same upside down.. :D
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    BoatTEST.com just today had a review of this engine. Sorry, I don't know how to provide the link to BoatTEST.com
    edited November 2014

x

• BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    BoatTEST.com just today had a review of this engine. Sorry, I don't know how to provide the link to BoatTEST.com
    I posted it just high light the url of the page you want right click copy url  then go here and  paste link is above

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
    edited November 2014

x

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More air is better for performance as you know, MT, but hotter air is better for economy in a fuel injected motor... My guess is that thing will puke torque, and be more than adequate for your needs... If you remove the shield and increas flow, or more importantly redirect it away from heat sources, it will add fuel to the cooler, denser air, add maybe a pony or two, but drink likely 5% more fuel, which isn't a good trade...

Just my thoughts on it, for what its worth..
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the thoughts, Drew, good point, appreciated, as always.....and as we know it takes approximately 12 ponies to give 1 mph so not a good trade at all! MT
  • frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread - I think my main concern would be whether or not the engine room has enough air intake surface area (vents) to let those puppies breath in all that they need. It's actually fairly common for boat builders to inadvertently limit the air flow into engine rooms to where the engine room is actually at a negative pressure (vacuum) when large engines are winding up. If you really want to know how this works, the equation would be 100% VE AIRFLOW (scfm) = DISPLACEMENT (ci) x RPM / 3456 where VE = Volumetric Efficency. So, an 8.2 liter engine converts to 500.34 cubic inches and plugged into the equation above, at 2700 rpm, that puppy is sucking in just under 390 scfm (sea level standard cubic feet per minute) and since you have two engines, you actually need to be able to pull in 780 scfm into the engine compartment. Now, you need to determine the surface area of the vents in the engine room and see if you could pull that much air thru them - and the answer might be a little disappointing. What happens when you bury the throttles? Say that max rpm for those monsters are 5000 rpm.... Now you need to suck in 1448 scfm! Odds are, your engine room is at a fairly significant vacuum at WOT (wide open throttle) which means that you might not get all the benefits (Horsepower / torque) that those engines can produce due to air intake limitations. Many builders build for aesthetics - looks over functionality. Either way, I'm sure you'll be very happy with your new ride - not that I'm jealous or any thing (turning green) :-) Steve
    edited November 2014

x

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I converted a clutch cooling fan to a electric fan a couple years ago.. bought those puppies off eBay for $16ea.. they pulled 16a at start up and 8a continuous, but moved 2750cfm in pull configuration, and 2500cfm in push... I don't see why it wouldn't work in this application, too..
    edited November 2014

x

edited November 2014

x