Adding cleats to swim platform.

golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
Hello All,
With the boat coming out soon, I'm thinking of projects for the winter. I was at the boat last night and saw a transient Meridian with cleats located on the back edge of the swim platform. This would be a very convenient way to tie up my boat at the dock using the criss cross method. I have my grill mounted on my swim platform and am walking back there a lot. Doing my spider dance over the dock lines holding a tray of burgers is getting old. (especially after a few adult beverages) 
So my question is has anyone added cleats to the back of their swim platform? Obviously I would need to use some kind of backing plate. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jerry

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding the cleats is straight forward. I'd worry way more about the strength of the swim platform.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I agree with BD. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    Adding the cleats is straight forward. I'd worry way more about the strength of the swim platform.
    That is my main concern. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and what the out come has been. I am always aware of the weather forecast. When the forecast calls for high winds I could re position the lines to the stock cleats. 
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At a recent cruisers gathering a seasoned member lent a hand with my stern lines at the floating docks we we on. To avoid the nest of lines on top of the platform he gently suggested running my lines straight down from the existing cleat, run the line down through the tow eye and then across under the platform.

This wouldnt work on pilings but I wasn't sure about your situation. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    TikiHut2;   Were you able to tie that way without chafing the line under platform? Did it work out well overall?  Enough spring?   Interesting tip . 
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting idea, be some slimy lines in the water but that can be cleaned. Can always tie short with a snubber too.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It worked perfectly on floating docks and the lines showed no signs of chafe. I suppose they could get scungy but our water is usually pretty clean or you could use some utility lines and save your nice ones for the yacht club. :D
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl