Options

Adding a windlass to my 276 CC?

bubbariley1bubbariley1 Member Posts: 11
Any idea how much it would cost to add a windlass to my 276 CC? I know I would have to order the new anchor hatch any idea of the cost for the whole project?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll have to add up the pieces depending what you choose:
    Windlass
    Switches (up/down & relay)
    Wiring from the battery to the windlass (this will be heavy wire gauge $$)
    Circuit breaker
    Any structure upgrades needed.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I kinda wish we ordered our 276 CC with a windlass, but it didnt make the $$ cut.

It would probably be close to $2k with parts & labor, and thats assuming you can do some of the install yourself. If you have to pay someone to do everything I'd bet its more than that.....

BTW please stick around and post some more, I think I'm one of the only 276 owners around here. :)
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    BTW did you just buy yours from Hideaway? If so I have walked on your boat! (and yes I took my shoes off :) )
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, jktz13 - my definition of a REAL boater is a guy who takes his shoes off to get on another's boat even if it's in a dealership - I call that respect - and that's what I have for a guy(s) like you! Tip of the hat to you, brother! P.S. Speaking of shoes - here's a true story. In the summer of 2011 We were boating around with our new 226XL (see Old Friend Post). We had taken friends to a waterfront restaurant for lunch. I went back to the boat to get something for the Admiral. There were 8 people sitting in my boat ALL with their shoes ON. One guy had his feet (shoes ON ) right up on my brand new black gel coated dash. They were "tourists" having their pictures taken in my new boat. There were dirty footprints on my seats and carpet. These tourists were not from the North American, Euopean, African, South American or either polar continents. BTW When I was telling the story in the restaurant a few minutes after "ushering" the tourists off my boat - to the disbelief of our friends - a guy said get this " last week a group of these guys went in a 38 foot cruiser and one of them had a dump in the head and didn't even flush it! Honest - true story! MT
  • Options
    OMG I'd probably be in jail if I came back to my boat with people sitting on it, let alone getting it dirty.  :-O

Its a much broader issue, but people just dont take care of anything anymore. I cant believe it when I see a year or two old boat, car, or house and it looks like it has 10 years on it.

People ask me all the time how I keep my car so good looking (10 years old, 210k miles). I tell them I wash it once a month and dont park it near all the fvcktards in the parking lot. Its amazing what a little TLC will do for longevity.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number of rude morons cannot be counted. I think a lot of non-boaters just don't understand the shoes thing, let alone many other things with boats. Evil black soled shoes!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I did buy form Hideaway! Thanks for taking off your shoes!!! I just moved back up north from SC. I was a boat broker and sold Crownline, Edgewater and Chaparral down there 2005-2008.. We didn't have a Rinker dealer down there so I never had to compete with them. This is my first experience with Rinker. So far, I am REALLY impressed with what you get for the money. I know Crownline and Chap are a bit higher quality in finish but I am truly sooooo pleased with our boat! Its a TON of boat for the money! I had it out in a fairly nasty chop and the ride quality is amazing! I got the 8.2L big block....it screams! Pretty safe to say I am a Rinker loyalist due to what you get for the money. I did a ton of research before I bought. Hideaway was awesome....dealing with Rick was so easy. We are keeping ours closer to Toledo in Rack storage, at Toledo Beach Marina. Does Rinker or Hideaway do a "get together" out on the water (Lake Erie or Lake St. Clair) in the summer? Planning quite a few trips to "The Bay", hope to see all of you out on the water! I'll be working the Rinker booth at the Cobo Hall show. When you take into consideration warranty, quality, ride quality, and finish, there is simply no better boat for the money on the market. I am going to buy a trailer over the winter and might take my boat to the factory for the windlass...?? A boat this size could really use one! At this point....its just on the wish list...we"ll see if I actually get one installed? Might be too expensive to do after the fact...Boat goes into winter storage next week, wanting to get a few more hours on it before I put it away....Looking forward to being part of "the family'.....
  • Options
    Thats awesome, glad it went to a good owner.

I wanted to order a windlass, but in hindsight I really didnt need it this past summer. I have 150' of rode and 4' of chain, with a 15 lb Danforth and it held the boat VERY well. Lake St Clair is mostly sand and some mud, but I'm not sure if Erie is mostly the same.

Maybe give it a season and see how much you really need it? Its a small PITA to climb up there, but as long as it sets the first time, and you have a co-pilot to move the boat around a bit, its not bad.

I didnt have to motor up to the anchor even once, I just pulled it in by hand. The 276 isnt that heavy, and the lower profile really helps with the "windage" (or so it seems to me).

I'm jealous of your arch & big block, and the blue/black combo is sharp. Mind me asking what you paid for it? Ours has a 350 MAG, stereo/sub upgrade, full canvas, and pump out head. We got it for $57k, which is still a ton of money, but like you said a ton of boat for the money.
  • Options
    I think the Arch is a $6500 dollar option and the big block was actually one of the most expensive options. I also added the full canvas package. (Still waiting on that and will install next season...). I think we paid around $75K? The boat/color combo was so unique I couldn't resist pulling the trigger. We also got the stereo upgrade. I went and added a bit heavier anchor, 8 feet of heavy chain yesterday. Fairly certain that set up will set every time. Not going to mess with the windlass for now...She get's put into heated indoor storage on Monday the 14th. Hoping to get out one last time this coming weekend! 
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    my 2 cents to this post:

first cent: how deep is the water where you are anchoring? windlass' are a benefit in DEEP water where you have to let out a long rode. You still have to get up there to release the pin and then tie it off. if you don't have a mate to push the button, that means you have to get up there twice, as opposed to once to your setup.

second cent: if i had seen a group of people on my boat like that, showing that much disrespect, I think I might've brought out the hose and started rinsing it down before asking them to get off. my bet is that there would've been a lot of wet camera equipment! ahhahahha
  • Options
    I like your thinking! No windlass....Lake Erie is so shallow anyway....I think I might have brought out a hose and brush and made them start cleaning!
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭

We've got the windlass on our 276BR.

Not to add some fire to the issue, I have to tell you - it is the BEST thing ever. The only "option" that should be a necessessity.

Shallow/deep water doesn't matter. It's fast & efficient.

I will never own a boat without one...

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    I think the Arch is a $6500 dollar option and the big block was actually one of the most expensive options. I also added the full canvas package. (Still waiting on that and will install next season...). I think we paid around $75K? The boat/color combo was so unique I couldn't resist pulling the trigger. We also got the stereo upgrade. I went and added a bit heavier anchor, 8 feet of heavy chain yesterday. Fairly certain that set up will set every time. Not going to mess with the windlass for now...She get's put into heated indoor storage on Monday the 14th. Hoping to get out one last time this coming weekend! 
    Yeah that's about what I figured $$ wise. You still got a helluva deal for the options, my pockets just werent deep enough for alot of the options.

You'll love the canvas package, as it really makes it a 3 season boat. We were out last weekend with a 20mph wind and mid 50's temp wise. The cockpit was nice & comfortable, and even a little worm with the sun.

Regarding the anchor, did you go with a Danforth style? Make sure the width and shank length are not too long for the anchor locker, as mine doesnt sit in the rubber holders anymore, and I have to point the shank towards stern so it'll fit below the hatch & ladder.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BoatAway, you win the prize. MT
  • Options
    I had an offshore boat with a windlass when we lived in SC. I hear what you are saying....they are very nice and extremely convenient! Just not sure its worth the cost to do it retro on this boat...hope to head out for a bit today and tomorrow.....
  • Options
    Awesome ride today! Took the boat out to brunch with the family. She now goes into heated storage for the winter....is it April yet?