Bottom Cleaner

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
Those of you that don't have a painted bottom, what do you use to clean the bottom of your hull? I have used acid and slimy grimy with varying degrees of success. Some guys in Pittsburgh have been using a 50/50 mix Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and peroxide, then hose the scum away. It seems to work better than the yearly acid bath. I am considering painting the bottom of my boat because this ritual of scrubbing, pressure washing and acid washing every fall is getting old.
2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acid I think is the most popular option.

I agree it gets old. I painted my boat at the beginning of 2012. Now there is no work to do.

Just haul out, pressure wash, and touch up in April - all takes less than 1 hour.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I now have bottom paint on my 400.  On my 310, I used half muratic acid and half water in spray bottle.  Didn't seem to bad & I'm sure was a bit more efficient than paint on the bottom.  I never had to pressure wash.  Just sprayed on, wiped with a long scrub brush and rinse with a hose.  FSR is another option, but that does take time.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• RocketmanRocketman Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    I used algea bottom cleaner from aurora marine. Two bottles would clean the bottom of my 330 and return it to factory conditions.