Options

information on 246 captiva

I'm looking to buy a boat within the next 6 months and one of the boats I'm considering is the Rinker 246 captiva BR. I've been researching various forums and reviews, all of which have been positive. I did find some videos on Rinker's website showing some of the built, electrical (wiring) and a lady talking about quality control. However, I haven't found any videos or articles on the actual construction of the hull, such as bonding, gelcoat, fasteners, etc. Do you have anything I can look at reference the above via the web. Also can you fold down the arch/tower on the boat. Thanks

Answers

• Options
    DZDZ Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    No technical info for you, but we're in the 3rd season of owning a 2006 246BR and have been very happy with the general quality so far. No issues to speak of. Don't have a fancy new one with a tower, so can't help you on the fold-down tower issue. The boat layout is really good overall. Met up with some people on a similar-sized Baja over the weekend, and they were impressed with the space and amenities of the Rinker.
  • Options
    hiprofile186hiprofile186 Member Posts: 2
    Thank for the reply, I've always heard that rinker boats suck, but these comment are not from rinker owners thus they shouldn't be making comments. So far from actual rinker owners good reviews. I'm looking at a 2014 246 captiva with the 350 merc with seacore engine and bravo 3 seacore outdrive, dual prop. Any comments 
  • Options
    Rinker boats most definitely don't suck. Perhaps there are better manufacturers, but overall, and we're on our second Rinker, I think they're pretty good. Least impressed with upholstery quality of Rinkers, and have had to have work done on several boat cushions. Luckily, my cousin is a highly skilled custom upholstery dude.

We have a 350 Bravo 3 without seacore.  It's fine for us. Runs about 52 top, pops out skiers and tubers, etc. Look at a bigger engine if you want more top-end performance. Oh, and I think get trim tabs. We don't have them yet, but might add next year. Hear it makes a huge difference.
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

We too have a 246 Captiva BR, 2007 model, 350 MAG MPI, Bravo3 dual prop. Acquired in April this year and very happy with it. Wanted something we could tow with Z71 Tahoe without too much struggle. I believe the boat has seen more pavement miles than water miles this summer. 20 miles to local reservoir, 100 miles to Mississippi, 400 miles to Lake of the Ozarks, 200 miles to Mark Twain Lake. We enjoy going to different locations. We do have trim tabs and I would recommend them. Hey DZ, what prop set do you have? Ours is 24P and I'm wondering if a 22P might give it a little better hole shot.

• Options
    sharpiesharpie Member Posts: 2
    we bought a 2013 246 in June and put over 50 hours this year at Lake of the Ozarks. It also has the 350 B3 24P. Got up to 53 top speed. Its our 3rd Rinker. Had a new1994 212 captiva. It got demolished in a storm in storage. Got replaced by a 1995 212 captiva. We had that till this year and sold it for $8000. Rinker makes a solid boat. Its a great boat for the money. We are very happy with the 246. Just had it put away. Cant wait till next year.
  • Options
    Ours has the 24P prop set too. Seems like the right one for the boat to me. I'll be adding trim tabs before next season, hopefully. Interested to see what that does to handling, especially at low speeds. Got bottom paint this year, and it knocked top end down a couple mph, but it's maintained that speed all season, instead of losing 10-12 mph because of bottom gunk. Of course if you trailer, that's not a concern.
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Not the same, but I have a 276 CC with a 350 MAG ECT and Bravo 3 (22.5P). The 350 Mag will be absolutely fine for you, as mine will do low/mid 40's top end and ~ 28-30mph at 3500rpm.

We have been very pleased with the boat (we bought new this past spring), with the sole exception being a cupholder that was left behind the door from the factory and an LED bulb going out shortly after purchase.

Both were fixed easily & quickly by our dealer, and other than an issue I caused (sucked up some pebbles) the boat has performed beyond my expectations.

I'm pretty sure the factory arch is NOT fold-down.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3