Options

Yes, another winterizing Hotwater tank question from a Newbie....Sorry!

habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
edited October 2013 in Engine Discussions
So I drained all water from fresh water tank then opened the  drain on hot water tank and pressure relief valve and emptied it (left drain open). I have a bypass valve installed to so I don't fill hot water tank with antifreeze. . I then filled the freshwater tank with about 4 gallons of anti freeze and ran threw all the faucets till pink. My question is there is two hoses that run from the engine to the hotwater tank (here is some picture) both are black one run from what looks like the exhaust and the another looks like the block. Do I need to disconnect these and fill will antifreeze? Is this the water that comes from the exhaust and then circulates threw the hotwater tank to heat the water inside and then returns to the block?
I use a small marina and they mostly do small boats without water tanks. Any help would be much appreciated! 

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Al, but I can't get at the bottom line where it attaches to engine (small engine room 2005 250 FV)
    Can I disconnect the top one from what looks like the exhaust manifold and pour anti freeze into it? Will this then funnel into and out the bottom one? 
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Here is a Pic of the two hoses on the engine, the one comes of what looks like the exhaust manifold and the other goes under the engine and I can't tell where it goes.
  • Options
    Yes it is a volvo, so could I just let the antifreeze that will be put in the block gravity feed from the top hose to the block drain plug? Do i still have to disconnect the hoses and fill with antifreeze? Sorry Al, very new to this and don't want to do anything wrong, thanks!

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Does your block have antifreeze or does your block cool by raw water? If antifreeze then the heater hoses should have antifreeze circulating already...
  • Options
    it is raw water cooled engine!
  • Options
    Its a Volvo 5.7 GI 280hp 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anit freeze in your water holding tank? This is the tank that would hold your drinking water? How the heck would you ever clean it back out? Wow, here in Florida it must be like 5 grand a year less in cost to maintain a boat like this with all the storing and winterizing....
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Well, it's not antifreeze, but the pink stuff that is non-toxic.  & yes it does cost $ to winterize.  A ton more if you don't do it yourself.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The benefits of inside heated storage: no winterizing. I'm ~$5500/year with slip, storage, power and cable tv.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    winterizing engine and shrink wrap 25 ft boat is about $600.  it is plumbing anti-freeze and like Dreaminn says its non toxic. Just run a couple of tanks of water threw it in the spring and your done. I also don't use my on board water for drinking, just cleaning and rinsing! I would rather live in florida but then again I don't have to ever deal with the corrosion problems from salt water.
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heated storage???? WE got heated storage that feels like the blazing face of the sun for 4mths every summer. :D It really isn't everything it's worked up to be down here so a little winter prep for my northern friends is right on par with feeling like a fish in the broiler and hiding inside when we "Summerize" for a long 4mths of summer heat and monsoon rain in the tropics.

I can only imagine that it's a bummer to wrap it up and break out the snow mobiles but every dog has his day and I often envy those cool clear fresh water lakes you guys get all summer. Kinda wish I'd have had the experience you guys have skiing, hunting and snowmobiling too.

Saltwater isn't a big deal unless you neglect the boat. It's all about rinsing/flushing everything EVERY time you use it but the upside is that my season lasts 8mths too.

And just to stay on topic re a hotwater heater.....I have one on board but NEVER have to turn it on. Gulf temp was 83* until last week. We had a couple mornings recently when the air temp was 82* at SUNRISE. omg somebody turn down the broiler, I'm well done.  B-)
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Yeah, yeah.  Thanks Tiki for rubbing it in, since I just put the cover on her yesterday.  The good news is, within an hour I can be back in, with a freshly looking waxed boat, the first week of March.  To me, that is a great feeling for 3 months over the holidays!  & this winter a group of us will be doing winter "raft-ups"!  (yep, going to a different "cove" and drinking and chatting about boats (just no swim platforms to fall off of).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    It gives my liver a break
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al, which hose are you referring to?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    This is what we do in my area when boating season is over.......Ice fishing parties, no boat needed! Drive your snowmobile, car, Atv, plane or just walk out, great fun!