Options

342 bow rails - resealing

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm on one of my off season projects: resealing the bow rail attachment points. A couple of the bolted locations I can manage to get to, but several require getting behind the vinyl wall covering.  Anyone else done this?  I hate to cut the stuff, but it would be an adventure to try and pull it down and I assume it would tear up the foam backing.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Al. I kind of figured that was my only realistic option. Now to find a vinyl repair product...

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    There always has to be at least one pita in a business. lol. Thanks for the always wise advise Al!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    RY - not leaking inside, but they are sealed on the inside too, go figure. I get water that 'creeps' out from under the flange where it mounts to the deck after washing/drying. I pulled one mount already and there was caulk under it, but questionable how well it was sealed. I'm going to rebed all the mounts I can with Buytl tape. Trying to get a head of potential problems. Already did all my deck hatches too. Great stuff.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Already did the deck snaps :). The windshield looks like a biggie to do.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I like having that window to open too for some fresh air :)  RY - are you sure yours is leaking at the seal and not water getting around the frame?  Mine was leaking that way, once I pulled it and resealed it I've had no issues (knock on wood).

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    R Y :  Mine leaked badly around the frame on 04  342 when I first  purchased  4 yrs ago.  I followed an old thread of B.D.s for removal with heat gun. But for some reason mine just wouldnt budge.  So I used multiple small pieces of blue paint tape to follow curvature of frame, both outer edge and inner edge. Then applied very fine bead of 3m caulk..   Have  had no leak in 3 yrs.. 
  • Options
    Al: where/how was the vent blower installed? I like that idea.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    elangoneelangone Member Posts: 26 ✭✭

An old thread, yes, but I have a 2004 342, and the bow rails are starting to get a bit loose. Not sure if there's any water intrusion yet, but want to prevent it. It doesn't seem that there are bolts at the base of the rail, just large stainless steel screws.  

I was thinking of unscrewing each base, one or two at a time, cleaning out the old sealant, applying fresh 4200, and re-inserting the same screws. No bolts, no ability to get to the back of them.

Do you guys have any thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you,

Ed

2004 Fiesta Vee 342 "It's All About Kelly"
  • Options

Elangone: I redid (3) mounts on my port side this off-season and will do the starboard side off season too.  

The bow rail is through bolted, so you need access to the underside to deal with the washer/nut.  There lies the fun...or not.  On the port side I was able to get to the most aft from under the storage area under the cockpit seating.  Moving forward from there, the next two you cannot get to without cutting a hole in the shower/bath enclosure, the next one moving forward you can get to but you have to take apart the top shelving section to get at it (behind/over the coffee maker) and cut into the liner to expose them - no biggie as no one can see it anyways.  The next one moving forward you can get to by again cutting the liner..you have to feel around to locate the nuts before you cut (I need to get the vinyl repaired for this one).  The last and final one at the bow..again I could not get access to the nuts.  On top of this all, they sealed the nuts over with caulk and it is a pita to pry off to get to the nuts.  

Most all my fasteners were bent from being tightened against a non flat surface and they were all cut off at the ends to shorten them too.  

I used butyl tape to reseal the ones I could get to, way better than 4200 IMO for this.  

Here is a great link: 

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware&page=1

The starboard side all but the most forward mount location is doable via cutting the liner or from other locations (cockpit garbage can area and the subwoofer).

Good luck!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    elangoneelangone Member Posts: 26 ✭✭

Thanks and oh boy, this sounds like it's going to really suck! 

2004 Fiesta Vee 342 "It's All About Kelly"