Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in Engine Discussions

x

Post edited by Michael T on

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:

We use the Wix filters 51069.  Change your oil every 30 to 50 hrs.  Your engine will be happy

Is that for all Merc v-8's? I have a 5.7L and I was wondering of that fits. Thanks!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're wire backed nano fiber (glass)... They offer 99% 25+micron, 95% 15+micron, and 80% 10+micron.. their real impact and advantage is longivity..

The paper filters won't last the life of modern, especially synthetic, oil... If you swap oil on schedule as Al states, there is no need for them.... If you stretch out the swaps to take advantage of longer syn life, you definitely want them.. you actually need them if you do that.

The syn oil will last much longer than the paper filter is made to do.. it can't remove ash after certain point, and either breaks up and clogs, or clogs and then breaks up, whichever way it happens first.. the wire backed micro fiber won't break up, and the added filtration surface allows it to last longer all by itself..

If you're changing it on a rigid schedule, my thoughts are the more expensive fiber filters are a waste of cash... If you're stretching oil changes to maximize life (and based on sound advice such as an oil analysis), you'll be warding off a bad situation by using the nano fiber filters.

Just my two cents..
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I used the higher capacity/higher efficiency filter last year. Mine rig is brand new, but I wantd it to have the best filter & best oil from day one. Its cheap insurance, IMO. The regular filter is what, like $10? The better one is maybe $15-$20.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    edited November 2014

x