Options

Change raw water impeller on 250FV

habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
First summer with the boat, (2005 250 FV) it has a volvo penta 5.7 GI 280hp and Duoprop out drive and 300 hrs total on engine. I read a lot that the raw water impeller should be changed often. Is this hard to do on my boat or should a mechanic do it? Is it easy to get at on my boat? I read that some are in very hard to get locations! Does it need to be changed annually? Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure this boat last me for a while, thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    I have twin vp 5.0. Very simular engines and the raw water pump is the same as yours. It is located in the front near the bottom. If on a trailer you can just take your time. Note the pic below. There are four brass screws that hold the impeller housing to the pully. Unscrew and pull the housing off. Inside the housing is the impeller. Pull out the old an slip in the new by twisting it in. Note the fins on the old one so the new one fits the same direction. Vaseline helps. Replace the o ring which comes with the new impellar. Dont over tighten the four screws and cross pattern as you tighten each.. They are brass and soft. Easy to break heads off. You may find pulling the two hoses off to put the housing back on easier. I also recommend double hose clamping the raw water hoses to ensure no airleaks. The smallest airleak creates a vaccum and can create overheating issues.

Easy job so save $100 of labor. And always carry a spare!

LG
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I wish Mercruiser 350 with B3 was that easy! They bury the darn thing under the block and cool fuel module. Nearly Impossible situation.
  • Options
    habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Thanks Lifes Good, much appreciated!