Options

Speedometer Not Working

From what I've been reading there is a good chance my speedometer quit working because something is clogging it.  What is the best/easiest way to unclog it?  Screwdriver?  Hand held drill bit?  A can of compressed air?  My boat is going to be pulled out of the water next week and I want to be prepared.  Thanks.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What outdrives do you have?  If a Bravo III the speedo pickup is on the lower half of the outdrive facing towards the bow, it is just a small hole along the leading edge.  A small pick will usually clear up anything blocking it.  Also check where the pickup tube mounts to the drive, if it comes loose you get the same problem.  Both easy fixes  :)

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I agree with BD on both fixes.  Take a bunch of small drill bits, then you will have the right size.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have Bravo III's.  Thanks for the advice.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I like having everything on my boat work but the speedo just my not be worth it. They are never correct and just a PITA. Your gps will give you the proper speed...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Find the drill bite that works then glue a wire nut on the end of the drill bit makes it easy to use in water when finished spray with WD 40 store in a zip lock bag 

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Speedo Marked

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    The boat doesn't have a GPS.  Thinking about getting a small one - maybe one that would replace the compass. Thanks boomer, looks like a good idea.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep the compass! Never 100% depend on electronics.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Step 1: Remove speedometer
    Step 2: Buy GPS to know how fast you are going
    Step 3: Fill hole in helm dashboard with a fuel flow meter

Worked for me!

Andy
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    If all else fails remove your dash panel. That's easy to do. Then remove the plastic tube from the back of the speedometer and blow into it. If that doesn't work use a pump or better yer a small compressor to blow air trough it. You can use a zip tie to reconnect the tube to the speedo. We had to do this all the time with our go fasts back in the days before widespread use of GPS. When your drives are going tghrough the water from 70 to 100mph a lot of stuff gets jamed into the pitot tube opening  and tubing. The air "blow" will work if all else fails. Good Luck! MT.....P.S. Two good tips - I do like andyd's suggestion if you are going to keep the boat for awhile - AND - as BD says don't dump that compass, many a boater has had to use one at some point - both tips are solid! MT
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

My speedo would always clog too.  Droveme nuts because it's the largest guage on the dash and dead center.  I had my mechanic rewire it to a paddle sensor.  Haven't had a problem since.  Again not the most acurate but stil close enough.