Options

Vovlvo 5.7L

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
Howdy! I have been trying to sell my boat to get my Rinker 270...still working on the selling part but have come across a 2005 at a very good price...it has the Volvo 5.7 L.....have no experience with Volvo only Merc...is this a plus or a minus?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should get some wise comments about certain Volvo outdrives.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    The motor is great! What drive? Great price sounds like xdp plastic drive.... if so run! DP drive good to go!
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

The Volvo engine is just fine.  The XDP outdrive is the Achilles heal.  Big expense to convert to the DP or OceanX drives which are excellent.  I have experience with the XDP's.  Little of which was good.  I bit the bullet and converted to the OceanX's.  World of difference.  My XDP's were hanger queens in "flying jargon."

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Hi rasbury, I own a 2005 250FV with the 5.7 volvo GI-E (280hp). It has the Duoprop drive. I have owned it this past summer, I put about 50 hrs on it and the previous owner (which i knew) had put 300 + hrs on it with only regular maintenance. So far no complaints (knock on wood), hope this helps!
  • Options
    gvigrassgvigrass Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Agree...Engine is good, very smooth.  XDP drives not so good....

Greg
  • Options
    thanks all....trying to wrap this boat up, can't wait!
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    So what drive does it have and post a couple of pics if you have any. Don't want to rain on your excitement but I totally agree with Tony, LG and the others about running away from those XDP drives. You can't imagine Tonys (and 90% of the other XDP owners) cost and aggravation to repair/replace/upgrade those substandard drives. It'll definitely effect your resale someday too. Hope that's not your situation. A quick Google search for XDP issues/recall/problem will be VERY enlightening before you commit. Also search for XDP images so you get a handle on replacing the bellows regularly.

Here's one of hundreds of posts/forum discussions: (LINK)

My .02c
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    it is an xpd drive...........rain rain rain
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I got nothin'.... except, Sorry. Imagine the rain if you'd have bought without knowing and then found out we knew of the problems but didn't say anything because we didn't want to bum you out. Now you're fully informed and it's up to you.

Buying a boat can be an emotional roller coaster but like most women who break our heart, there's always a newer model that's hopefully more reliable right around the corner....... hey, I told ya I had nothin' :D

Keep shopping and be patient. It'll come. Mike 

(EDIT) Ck this sweet 270 in Largo with the bigger motor I wish I had (LINK). It's one of dozens out there.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    what is the conversion cost to the DP or Ocean X drives? Maybe the seller will just have to cough it up if he wants to sell the boat!
  • Options
    $11-16k +/- ?? Google search again...
  • Options
    ps- I sent a note to the sales guy I'm working with who states he is not familiar with any problems and the owner states he has not had any issues with it.  May be it has one of the other drives and the specs are just wrong...I'll find out!
  • Options
    The same guy who told you it'd run in 17" of water?  :-? 

Just sayin'......You have the links, Google, and an honest crew of guys here with actual experience in those drives. Research, research, research. If it's too good to be true......The decision and future experiences will be yours. Hope you find what you need in a relatively trouble free boat. Mike
  • Options

the deal was not really to good to be true, it was more like everything I was looking for and it was fairly close by....30 grand without a trailer so I assumed an end of the season reasonable deal and apparently the guy that owns it is elderly and can't handle it any more. I am checking back to get a picture as he was the second owner, maybe the first owner changed it out...I will see either way!

regards,

• Options
    $30k or less will buy the boat in that link above with everything, especially the best engine match for the 270. My 5.7 Merc is nice but the 6.2 is the best choice. Good luck gotta sign off. Mike
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Volvo just sort of quietly discontinued the XDP around 2007.

I got 900 hours (the majority at displacement speed) on mine but that was with a lot of luck and a lot of maintenance.  So it is not impossible to push these things for many hours.   Once it got to crunch time for me, my boat had little value as she sat with the XDPs which by this time were failing miserably.

And by the way, when I decided to convert to the OceanX's I found out the transom shield also needs to be replaced to accommodate the different mounting dimensions.  I understand that the OceanX drive is just a glorified DP drive because of the extra salt water corrosion resistance so the mounting requirements are the same for the DP and the OceanX.

The OceanX drives are pieces of mechanical art.  The boat is more responsive and handles much better than it did with the XDPs. 

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    gvigrassgvigrass Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Consistent with what I have heard Tony....
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Rasbury... don't get caught up in this boat. The xdp is a nightmare! What ever the owner says about why he is selling the boat don't be fooled. I am sure he knows about the xdp issue! Get his service records. Mine was fixed every 6 months for two years! I would also bet if you pull the bellow the u joint is rust. Dont hassel with the swap out unless you get $20k off the lowest market price. You'll need every penny of that to have the job done right.
  • Options
    thanks guys....I'm done with this boat unless they can show the add was wrong and not the XDP.  I don't have the money to mess with a know problem right off the bat.  I was excited that it was a little newer boat than I thought I could get for 30 grand but it seems not to be in the cards.  I had found some really nice boats up north, fresh water boats but with winter moving in I guess I won't have a shot at them as they are being stored for the winter.  We'll see how things go, still have to sell my boat anyway so we'll just see- not giving up on my Rinker though!  This was the first one I was able to crawl around in and it met all my expectations.  Have looked at the Regal and Bayliner and there is no comparison to the cabin and upper deck layout and quality of the seats and just how it's put together.
  • Options
    We felt the same way when we started shopping in that size. The 270 was their most popular line for a reason. Seriously that link from Yachtworld for that fully loaded Tan 270 in Largo is rigged right and would be on the top of my shopping list if you could get it near 30k and the survey goes well (no, it's not mine).

You'd be welcome to call us if you'd like to take a look or ride in ours up in Sarasota. Drop us a PM and we'll swap info. Glad we were able to save you from a major drama. Good luck. Mike
  • Options
    Mike I never saw that link and still don't....am I missing something? I think I might of seen it on my own searches as it sounds familiar but will you re send that link or is it there and I'm not seeing it?
  • Options
    It's in the lower part of my comment above that starts with "I got nothin". I'll try and find it again but it was a nice boat.

Here you go.  (LINK TO TAN 270 IN LARGO)

Go get 'em. Mike
  • Options

Yep, that is a nice boat...not as nice as the two tone with the blue/black but very nice looking! I sent them a note to see if there is a trailer involved but I assume not.  My son in law has a flats boat co. and I can get a new trailer for a very good price.....if I can get my dang boat sold, my financing is all approved and ready to go!

Thanks Mike