Options

Water drain on Captiva 192

Husker1Husker1 Member Posts: 2
Just bought a 05 Captiva 192 and I am wondering if the water drain on the front of the motor drains the entire motor or is there more drains for winterizing?

Comments

• Options
    Husker1Husker1 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry its a 2005 with a 4.3 ltr
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod

Assuming it's a Merc.....

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    @mvn How often would you check the manifold and risers on a 4.3 merc v6?  Are replacements necessary every few years on a fresh water boat?
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Your engine is likely a single drain point, you can use your model number to verify this.  The older ones used two, usually plastic, drains on the manifolds and then plugs in the sides of the block under the manifolds.  

In fresh water I know of a 4.3 1999 model with original manifolds.  I personally wouldn't go that long but 20 plus years is common.   My dad's 4cyl mer I/O pontoon is a 98 and as far as I know manifold/riser is original as well. He's had it about 6 or 7 years now.   Sits beached all summer long every year and only used weekends. Both of these boats are/were my dad's.  My sister was given this little chaparral and it's now in Wilmington NC getting ready to hit the ICW.  The chaparral only spent summer weekends sitting in the water.   

I'm not sure what the recommendation is on replacement intervals in fresh water.   
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    I have a 2007 350 mpi but it is not raw water cooked. I replace my elbows and risers and they were pretty crusty but could have gotten by . The boat had 100 hours in salt and 200 in fresh.