Options

Cabin door open or closed while storing under shrink wrap?

As the title asks, my boat will be shrink wrapped for winter and was wondering what most do! Do i leave the door open or closed and leave some windows open that are under the shrink wrap. I will also put moisture bags inside.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
    sorry, I should have said that its a 250 FV!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    I have always closed my cabin door in the winter, but I use covers, not shrinkwrap.  I put in damp rid (large container) in the cockpit and the hang up bags in the cabin.  Has worked well for a long time.  Make sure you check and possibly change the bags/damp rid at least once in the winter.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks Dream inn!
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    I leave mine open
  • Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    Great question....I was just about to ask the same.   Next question....I been told to leave my engine hatch open a crack....this doesn't make sense to be because of the rapid change in temperatures during the day and night under the shrink wrap. 
  • Options
    trich11trich11 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    We are on our 4th winter with shrink wrap. We leave our door closed, open the head window a small amount and use the typical moisture collection methods. No issues thus far.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Closed. Helps keep rodents out. Get a Few containers of dehumidifier crystals and place through the cabin.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    On my 342 I close the doors and hatches and I keep the engine hatch shut also. I also shrink wrap. Never a problem
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had snow here in W Mich yesterday. Ski season has arrived. Loveland opened in CO this week. :)

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Hey BD, that's about to start here. We leave for Vegas on Wednesday then its back to get the scuba gear ready for three months in the caribbean. In my younger days I used to be on the ski patrol and ski in Banff, Quebec, Europe, Jay Peaks and Jackson Hole. Now it's the sunny south for me!. :-) MT
  • Options
    Banff, Jays Peak and Jackson I can speak for, all sweet! I still enjoy the snow though :) Enjoy vegas and your extended scuba trip- sounds like fun!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I keep my cabin closed and spread sheets of Bounty all over the cabin... smells real nice in the spring. I put mothballs in the cabin area. This takes care of the pests. Our marina is generous with the air vents so I never had an issue with moisture... everything is too frozen to sweat.... LOL
  • Options
    scented dryer sheets are nice too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

i keep the door closed too. figure if something bad happens, at  least this way it'll only happen to one half of the boat.

I also do the dryer sheets since it does smell nice and I heard on the old forum that it keep out mice or soemthing. sounds plausible..

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2 cents all the above + baking soda box open in each fridge and ice maker, couple of containers of dry crystals around and don't stack the mattresses and cushions in a pile. MT
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also prop open all my bilge and storage areas and keep a dehumidifier in the cabin but my moisture issue is off the scale in our down season(June1st-Oct1st), as if the infernal heat isn't enough.

Like the dryer sheets and baking soda tips. Good stuff.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    great tips thanks for all the info!

• Options
    gvigrassgvigrass Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Another good use for dryer sheets in the summer, or year round for us in FL, is to put a fresh sheet every now and then in the A/C vent (where it blows cold into the cabin).  Keeps things fresh/

Greg
  • Options
    RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Had a previous boat shrunkwrapped outdoors in Mich, 5 yrs ago.   In early spring, I unzipped the door in wrap and entered cockpit. I noticed the Bi-Fold cabin door was opened. I always shut door. Entered the cabin and soon came face to face with a RACOON.  Ran out of boat and called pest control......My advice; Always secure cabin door.