Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Since we are singing praises here - I also have to give Al kudos for giving me a second opinion on an issue with my 08 320. At the beginning of last season (2012 season), I had water coming in from under the starboard engine at what looked like the bottom part of the transom plate. After a check with a borescope, I still wasn't 100% sure where the water was coming in so I put the boat back on the trailer and discovered that the Mercathode block that bolts to the bottom of the outer transom plate was cracked and leaking water. For those that don't know, there is an approximately 3/8 " hole at the bottom of the outer transom plate where the Mercathode block attaches and wires that feed the block pass through the transom into the engine compartment. The Mercathode block has an o-ring that seals the hole where the wires pass through - and if that o-ring fails, you basically have a 3/8" hole leaking directly into your engine compartment. I was lucky that the block was only cracked and that the o-ring seal was still mostly intact. Just so happens that it was hard to find a new block, so I had to order one which took about 2 weeks to get, so I called Al about just sealing the hole where the wires pass through with some 3200 sealant as a temp fix so I could get the boat back in the water for Memorial Day weekend. Before I even mentioned my thought about the sealant, Al suggested that I just do a temp fix using 3200 until I got the new block. So, I pulled the block down, added some 3200 sealant and put the block back on, waited an hour or so and launched the boat with no leaking at all. Once the new block came in, I removed the old block, cleaned out the sealant and finished last season with no leaks. Thanks again Al - it is pretty rare these days that someone goes out of their way to offer excellent professional advice!
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Hats off to Al for sure and all the other armchair mechanics for their help as well... That's what makes this site so awesome...
    L-)
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    melvynmelvyn Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Michael T said:

We all know what a marine genius Al (Allans Mobile Marine, Syracuse Indiana) is. Also, it is pretty easy to tell from the quality of his posts and the way that he does everything possible to help anyone with a question that he is a true gentleman (and I don't throw that word around lightly). I just got off the telephone with Allan. He took the call despite being in the middle of winterizing over 75 boats. I asked him if he thought it would be possible to move the joystick from the armrest area of the 2014 EC 360 that Rinker will start building for me this November - to a better location on the dash or helm. Despite being real busy (you could hear all of the guys working in the background) he explained in crystal clear detail how it could be done. As if that wasn't enough he told me I could tell Randy Rinker that he could call Allan if he wanted to discuss anything. What a CLASS ACT! Anyone who can get their boat to Allans Marine is one LUCKY boater! It kills me that I am so far away as my Rinkers would be in great hands at Allans. I called Randy Rinker and he said he didn't want any mod to look mickey - mouse (I certainly agree) but that he's have a look. You can't ask for more than that. Having Allan say that he'd give Randy suggestions is PURE GOLD!  Thank you Allan I owe you one and I WILL settle-up at some point, I promise! I also REALLY owe RANDY RINKER for being such an awesome guy and be willing to help a customer - how rare that is these days! I am on cloud 9! :-) MT

• Options
    melvynmelvyn Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Would disagree about your comment about randy Rinker I talked to him on phone a couple of times and wasn't helpful at all wasn't making him money
    Good luck with your boat
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x