Options

Broken walk-through windshield latches on 246BR

One of our two walk-through windshield latches was already broken, and the second one broke today when the windshield blew shut in a very sudden, very brief bit of storm. They'd be easy to replace if they were like our last Rinker -- screwed in -- but these are attached with rivets. How can I get the rivets out, and replace the latches, assuming I can get new ones from Rinker or another source? Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can drill the rivet heads out. Should be fairly easy, pick a bit that matches the inner stem. You could rivit a new one in or screw.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    DZDZ Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Thanks BD. I figured drilling it out would be the best way to start. I'm rivet-challenged though, so figured I'd have to find some short screws with aggressive threads to replace them, assuming I can get new latches somewhere.

Latches? We don't need no steeenking latches!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DZ, get a pop rivet gun. They're real cheap at most hardware stores and easy to use. If unsure get a buddy to show you the first time. I say this as a friend used screws on his latches years ago and they kept stripping. He had to finally fix the aluminum frame and go back to rivets. My 2 cents. MT
  • Options
    Thanks. Getting a pop rivet gun probably makes the most sense.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DZ: they are cheap.  They work a lot easier than you might think.  Playing around riviting some sheet metal together is worthwhile.  You'll just need to know how long of a rivet to use for the latch, should be a standard length.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Looks there are several options for new latches, so just have to pick the right one and get a rivet gun.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    As a DIYer, it's always fun to find a reason for a new tool! :)>-   As said, rivet guns are pretty simple, just keep the rivet against the object wen squeezing.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express