how shallow can I go?

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have landed on my first Rinker if I can put the deal together and really excited...has the vovlo 5.7 OSXI(?) 2005, gen, arch, a/c and heat...everything! One big concern is I like to go to Cayo Costa island and other islands in the area...in SW Fl, once you get out of the ICW there is a lot of very shallow water...with motor trimmed up, how shallow of water can you move in? I read like 17 inches but with the mass of this boat and weight, it's hard to imagine that! Input please!!

Comments

• JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    What boat did you buy?
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    We need more info............
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Depending on the boat, 17" means you are grounded. Drive all the way up are almost useless for steering and movement, let alone extremely **** u-joints.

Ok I guess using the word 'hard' and the word 'on' together is a no-no. lol
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is working a deal on a '05 270. That area is our playground and 17" is impossible in our '04 270. Even 24" is barely possible and only in brief segments or those u-joints will revolt as BD said. As for me I shut it down when the water is less than 28" and just push. Not to mention the sand getting sucked into a running waterpump at 20" which will be really painfull$$ too.

I get all over down there and rarely have depth issues unless I'm not paying attention. I'd worry more about getting the boat fully surveyed and being sure that it's sound. Fuel tank, drive, genset, a/c are all expensive components if they've been poorly serviced or fail.

I'll put a tape measure on my drive in the morning but running with the drive up is poor practice
    My .02c  Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a 276, so its not apples-to-apples, but mine is "rated" at just about 24" and anything under 1' on the depth gauge and even in full trailer mode I'm cleaning the prop. Definitely not advisable to do it often.

I'd keep it at absolutely no less than 2' on the sounder, which should be 3' of water depth (or so). To be safe just make sure you're at no faster than idle & have it trimmed up so its not dragging.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
    edited October 2013
    Just put a tape on my B3 and 26" from the water line is fully up in trailer mode. 30" in trim up mode and 36" with drive down.

Double check all the facts coming from that deal....can't imagine that a VP drive is much diff. Good luck. Happy to help. Mike

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    We usually anchor out at the beach in three feet of water.... even then some big waves can make the boat touch the bottom.... so it's not just the depth, it's sea conditions as well...
  • gvigrassgvigrass Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Good point Capt Ron....

Conditions matter...and can change quick.  3 feet is about as shallow as I will go as well.

Greg
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the input- the docks at cayo costa are not a problem- where I stay mike if you look on google earth, right about the center of the island there is a man made short canal.  Over 4 years of getting in and out of there I have found a path and I think about the shallowest of water is 2' but that is my 20' Tahoe bowrider.  The "path" I found I do not hit and there is a lot of sea grass so I don't know if I'm getting reading off that or the actual bottom.  I have seen some pretty big boats come in and out but only outboards.  I think the local water taxi boat will also go in there which I can't imagine but I suppose if you watch the tides, that is everything around there too.  I do plan on getting a survey done but the hull looks clean, no bottom paint and I don't see any blisters or flaws visible.  I'm just trying to dump my boat now so I can finalize this one but all done at the bank and ready to put this bad boy in the water!
    and it also a very short distance...right in front of the canal it's 6' so there is about a 50 ft stretch of water that is in question.  We really love that area, like gilligans island but close to cabbage key and other areas when you want to grab a bite! I want to also explore further south as well.....
    I know that teeny little kayak hole near the main State park dock but wouldn't want to be in there(or anywhere too near shore) at dusk when the no-see-ums pounce. With a 270 you'll just put the hook down out in the anchorage and enjoy the breeze.

It's a different breed of cat from a BR. More challenging in some respects but far more accommodating and capable. Here's a pic of mine anchored overnight in the Anchorage at pelican cove/Cayo Costa the very day we bought her(before cleaning/buffing the hull). We will definitely have to cross paths this season. Mike

...And one on the Gulf side, directly across. It's a bit tricky due to shoals so tread lightly on a rising tide.
    Mike- further downsouth!  On Primo Bay, there is an island on the bay side there that looks like a pork chop. Right behind that is the canal I speak of...and there is a path at that canal that goes over to the gulf, the very southern edge of the big lagoon on the gulf side.  We have rented two different homes along that path, solar powered and very cool! A week was like $1200.00. That picture you have above puzzles me as I don't recall any trees like that long the gulf side near the beach, unless that was a pre hurricane picture!  Check out what I'm saying on google earth and you will see what I'm talking about...we love it there and keep going back before it builds up...very cool area.  We stayed on upper captiva year before last and little gasperialla island two years before that but Cayo Costa is the bomb!
    we tried to anchor on the gulf side but it was always so choppy, I was scared to death the boat would not hold and beach.......was never calm like that. We usually go in July.
    sweet boat by the way.....
    Thanks Ras That Gulf side shot was at about 26*41 44N  82*15 23W

Ah yes I see that little cut down there. Haven't been in there personally but that's really skinny down in there for sure. There's a million gunk holes to anchor in down there and we usually look for a nice protected windward shore and anticipate a change of wind to the east coast breeze around 2am.

Good luck in your boat search. Mike
    ok, what is a gunk hole?  There is a path to that  I think that was cut back when they thought it would get heavily developed.  I'm sure it is not maintained anymore but like I said, enough time at it you find the spots plus we had to as that was where the house was....first time there was scary, didn't think we would make it in on low tide but after a few trials, slide right in there....hope to with the new boat also but a dingy might be in order!
    A Gunk Hole is an old sailing/cruising term for a shallow anchorage in a pretty protected/preferable location usually used with local knowledge entry/exit. Your keel may get gunky on a low tide but it's usually all yours with no crowd. Charlotte harbor down between Placida and St James city is prime shootin' for protected little anchorages but you'd better know the tides and expected weather. Google Earth is a great way to find spots down there.

That pic on the beach was taken in August doldrums in withering heat. Any seabreeze would make that a tough/impossible spot. I've been camping on that beach off/on for over 45yrs. Get it if you can.

Just know that those Volvo drives DON'T like to be trimmed up, especially if they're running. Rubber bellows and spinning universals never mix well.

Thanks for all the input.....I will be way in over my head with this boat but hey, if I don't blow my money my kids will!

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    edited October 2013
    Ras & Tik, you guys sure have some great waters to boat in. IThe only thing we are missing up here in the chesapeake is that nice blue water!  I've boated a few times in the sanibel/captive/picnic island area when my father lived on a canal in Cape Coral (now in **** Gorda, but no boat), that water is so nice!  & the sand too!  A little place on pine island had some of the best Friday fish fry too!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Slightly on topic and in response to DIs' comment. Here's another skinny water Cayo Costa Gulf side shot looking south along a "crowded" beach. Our season is finally just beginning. Hope it motivates you guys to look forward to next season as much as all your summer shots did for us.

The fish is on the grill and the beer is on ice....come on any time.

That's what I'm talking about!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Love the picture Tiki!  Keep 'em coming! (a bikini or two on the beach is fine too)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

That's possible DI. bikini patrol Soon.