Options

Ahoy, mateys! US to stop printing nautical charts

BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod

WASHINGTON (AP) - The federal government is going into uncharted waters, deep-sixing the giant paper nautical charts that it has been printing for mariners for more than 150 years.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced Tuesday that to save money, the government will stop turning out the traditional brownish, heavy paper maps after mid-April.

The agency will still chart the water for rocks, shipwrecks and other hazards, but sailors, boaters and fishermen will have to use private on-demand printing, PDFs or electronic maps to see the information, said Capt. Shep Smith, head of NOAA's marine chart division.

More Here  http://www.myfoxny.com/story/23758129/ahoy-mateys-us-to-stop-printing-nautical-charts

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting discussion on https://activecaptain.com/newsletters/2013-10-23.php

I'm impartial but this'll start a fire.....there's a valid argument that today's paper charts are the 2nd most dangerous thing on-board, right behind a rigid schedule. Hmm  :-?

Old school clashes with new tech. Kaboom :D  Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    edited October 2013
    Interesting Mike.  I sometimes read the newsletters from them, but hadn't seen that one.  Sure was a mouthful & hard to say he didn't cover the topic. :-t

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting read.  I would agree with the rigid schedule or 'get thereitis' as they call in in boating and airplanes, many, many an accident caused by keeping a schedule and going tino bad conditions.

I still like my paper as backup, and easier to plot out longer trips, but my Raymarine system is 10 (yikes) years old too, so I bet the newer and bigger screens are nice.  I enjoy the challenge/knowledge of using paper to plot on too, but that's the engineer in me :)

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Jeppeson charts?  From my days of flying, I, like most other flyers, found the Jeppeson charts to be much better laid out and easier to use that the US printed charts.  Maybe Jeppeson will jump in here too.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Newest dash mount navigator with entire world mapping.....Hey, it's more than most sailors had just 100yr ago :D

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl