Options

how much???

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK- well back to searching....I like what must be a late 2002 that has the sink/cooler behind the captain seat to about 2004 as being what I see to be in my price range......$35000 at the high end.  I know now to stay away from the Volvo XDP out drive (thank you all for that) but I'm not super concerned about power and would rather have the most economical which I'd guess to be the 350.  I have to have a trailer and I REALLY want a factory gen.  What should I be able to buy one for this time of year?  I really like the sound of getting a fresh water boat and had seen a lot listed up in the Chicago area...would not want to go out west but with winter coming on I'm assuming there is not going to be a water test as the boats are being or already put up for the winter.  Can a survey still be done with reasonable assurance I would know the boat condition? I really don't want to wait until spring as it is boating season all year in Fl and the best weather is coming up.  I am still trying to sell my Tahoe Bowrider (any takers?) and I have it priced to sell on boat trader and will have it in a good spot this weekend as well.  I sure welcome all comments!

Rick

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should be plenty of boats up north here to scope out. People get motivated this time of year!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Go to Yachtworld.com and do an advanced search narrowing down the year/price/location to get an idea of whats out there. It's where I eventually found my 270 that happened to be in Burnt Store :D Bought my '04 fully loaded 2yrs ago for 30k w/o a trailer. That ended up being another 4k after a serious rebuild but now it's an ideal package for a road warrior.

Key points are:
    1. Don't get emotionally attached to ANY deal.
    2. Always get an objective professional survey and seatrial with an engine inspection by a merc cert mech too
    3. new risers and manifolds are a plus
    4. My fuel tank had failed the year before I bought and was replaced. That would've been a bummer for him.
    5. Kohler 5e gensets are fussy. Make sure it runs for an extended period 30-45mins on the seatrial
    6. Beware the neglected stern drive that might have excessive corrosion from depleted anodes. 
    7. Check in the odd hidden spots for water damage or worse...
    8. Manually operate ALL of the seacocks
    9. There's more but I gotta run

Good luck. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    ShaunShaun Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    rasbury, 10 years ago I would have agreed with your comment on engine size and economy, not any more. I owned a boat the size you are looking for and in my own opinion a boat is going to use the same amount of fuel no matter what engine is in it. The smaller engines just work a lot harder. If all different engine sizes are driven comparably I personally do not think there is a big difference in fuel used. This being said read all the different posts from people with smaller engines trying to get up on plane, especially single engine cruisers. My present boat has the largest engines offered and I love it. Small engines use fuel because of how hard you are working them.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like I'm on track. Sounds like the biggest pit fall with these can be that XDP drive....will a survey determine if the risers/manifolds are good?  Other than that, I feel like I have a pretty good handle on this, I do mechanical stuff myself so I know my way around the parts, at least the big ones.  I looked at a  boat in Lauderdale (big boat show next weekend) that looks great but no pictures of the hull and out drive...requested and never heard back!  I will keep my eyes and ears open...working on selling my boat but hope to "join the club" here as quick as I can!
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our boat had lived it's whole life in dry storage so it never had bottom paint or the corrosion potential that many outdrives suffer if the anodes and mercathode system are neglected. New bellows, a noise free outdrive at all steering points and trim  and clean drive oil are a must. The B3 OD is known to be one of the best drives available.

It's a pretty safe bet that risers and manifolds will become problematic after around 5yrs in a constant saltwater environment but don't be too freked out about buying a boat down here if it's in good shape. My risers/manifolds had just been replaced when we bought and our engine had about 200hrs. I trailer it and am OCD about flushing it so I hope we'll get at least 5yrs if not much more before they start showing signs of blockage/overheating or leaking seawater back into the heads (not good).

Beware those boatshow sharks. It's always tough to look at used boats after the slick pitch and shine of new product. We love the shows too but financial reality kept us on track and we are very happy with the deal we eventually found. Rinker really does pack a lot of value into their boats.

Welcome aboard. You'll find what you're looking for eventually and like every boat you'll definitely have the chance to exercise you mechanical skills :D . Cya, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl