Options

Cleaning hull with Pettit Vivid White Bottom Paint

Pulling out tomorrow and it'll be our first time out with the new Vivid white paint. Held up great all year and kept the top speed right up there, unlike the last two seasons with smooth fiberglass. Last fall, our slip neighbor was cleaning his Vivid painted hull with the pressure washer on a low, fairly fanned out setting, and it didn't seem to disturb the paint, but got the scum right off. Hope to have the same experience, but does anyone know what you can safely use on it to clean stubborn areas? Someone said you can use toilet bowl cleaner like we do on fiberglass, but I'm afraid it might take some off.

Not looking forward to pull-out day, my least favorite day of the year...

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tb cleaner will attack the copper and turn it green, if your bottom coat has it in it. I'd try a small test. I know here they just use the powerwasher, cleans fine. Only the zebra mussels are a pain on the drives.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    DZDZ Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Sounds promising, BD, thanks. I just find it hard to believe how easy it's supposed to be to clean a painted hull. Hope to be pleasantly surprised tomorrow, because there's other stuff to clean besides the hull!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know mines cleans right up, the key: don't let it dry before you power wash.  I think you'll be happy with the ease.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I agree with BD, do it right when you pull it and not too close.  Should be good to go.  My first boat had bottom paint & wet slipped.  I never did anything but light pressure wash, maybe mid year and then at the end.  (I'm now lift kept, just a little hosing and she's good)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    DZDZ Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Thanks. Used the marina's 4000psi pressure washer, with probably a 45-degree tip. Worked pretty well, though sprayed off a bit of paint here and there trying too hard. Maybe just a bit of touchup in spring.