Options

342 air intakes

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
Working on another pet peeve of mine this off season, doing something to stop the air intakes along the gunnel from being a gutter into the bilge. Anyone come up with a cure?  I had my canvas made to snap over the openings, but it's not enough.  

Thinking of making a plastic spacer to fit under the intake grill to raise it up .25" and seal the base with butyl tape or install an o-ring.  The harder one is the more bow one at an angle, thinking of just an AL sheet metal piece at the upper corner to divert the water.  Then of course seal the top cover piece.  
Happy Friday!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    We have the same/similar issue I think. What about modding a short SS cowling like a small hood scoop pointed downward. A custom car accessory part might be out on the net. If I find it Ill be sure to post it. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    RY, yes indeed. Rain/washing. I had blower hoses filling up with water at low points, I redid the hoses so that problem is gone, now it just flows thru. A cowl done right would work too I think. Someone good with fiberglass could make and sell them I bet.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Exactly!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a louver punch, guys... Since you're talking about a small piece, a small one will work.. they are cheap, and depending on material you're punching, and since you're just using it once or so, you don't need to get a quality one..
  • Options
    edited October 2013

What about a pair of these angled slightly downward on both sides with a piece of trim around/behind them? It takes a 3" duct.

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    edited January 2014

So here's my start of a solution for the water draining in.  Putting in AL spacers I had made under the intake grills.  The one on the angled surface is a tapered spacer to allow fit under the top cover (not shown).  These will screw to the boat and there are tapped holes for fastening the grill to the spacer.  I'll bed both with butyl tape, I did seal the exposed wood in the hull thru holes too as that was getting wet also.

Still considering a custom duct opening, I think this will help a lot as my canvas covers the openings when snapped down too.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    My thought is by raising the intakes, water can't just run in. We'll see if it helps! My machining source is gone for the winter anyways.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    That'd be a pretty simple 3/8" slice with a handsaw taken off of a piece of 4" or 5" pvc scrounged off a waterline project scrap pile and a little 3m 4200. No macinist needed for those of us without a buddy that have those skills/shop.

Maybe I'll go digging around to see if I have something laying around behind the shop. Good fix BD.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I looked at just using sch 40 4" pipe, but to reuse the screw holes the dia is off. Of course could always just redrill too.
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

PC BYC, Holland, MI