Options

Arch/TV/GPS...winter project

My radar arch is peeling all over (water intrusion) and I am about to pull the trigger to have it removed/powder coated over the winter...few things I need help/opinions on:

1. I want to replace the TV antenna (MIA from prior owner). Looks like Shakespeare/Glomex are the only players in town. Would either be a snap on replacement with the factory wiring? Pros/cons to either?

2. I have an older SIMRAD Loran chartplotter and radar system. Of course the Loran is DOA, but the radar system works and I don't use it enough to invest in a new system. With the arch coming off, is there any maintenance that I should do to the radar receiver/dome (a bit squeaky at times)? Also, if I wanted to install a new GPS/chartplotter in the spring, is there a universal wire I could snake up there to connect to a GPS receiver down the road?

Any input/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

2001 310 Fiesta Vee

T-5.0 FWC Mercs w/ B2

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the surface RY's comment looks smart but in reality it's REAL smart. Running some extra fish lines is brilliant. It will save you so much hassle later. Starting in 1985 every house I built had 1" pvc piping with a fish line run into every room. In the  80s/90s people ran coax, speaker wires and extra phone lines through the pipes - even now with WiFi the owners can run fibre optics for their HD systems. I run fish lines any time I open up a hard to access area of a house, boat or car. Haven't done it with a plane yet but I bet aero3113 has. MT
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    P.S. RCA has a coax wire for running satellite and cable TV lines. It is quadrouple shielded and has a hard wire bonded to the exterior of the cable that is for an exterior ground. The added bonus is that during installation this ground wire acts like a fish line and makes it real easy to run the wire through tight spaces as it can be bent straight (or curved) and holds its shape. Available at radio shack and some Home Depots. MT