Options

In the market for a tow vehicle

SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
Ive decided that before next season i will have myself a truck and trailer to tow my 01 310.  ive got my mind set on a diesel, but what i need to know is if i should strictly look for a 3500 or if a 2500 will be ok to tow the boat. im only planning on spending 15k so that puts me around the 2005 era of truck (with lots of miles).. Second question, i found a tri axle trailer rated for 12500 lbs, is the 310 too heavy for that trailer?
01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go for the 350 /3500 (1 ton).  Same frame/axles but beefed up suspension form the 3/4 ton.  Well worth doing IMO.  If you can snag a dually it will track a lot better, but less common in 4WD.

I'm not sure of the 310 weight personally, but 12,500# trailer seems light for 310, especially once you add in water, fuel, all the stuff on board.  it adds up fast.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, thats a lot of boat to trailer. Have you looked up the wide load permits needed to trailer a boat with an 11' beam? Here in MI anything over 8'6" needs a permit.

Quickly searching I found a weight of 12,400lbs for a 310 Fiesta Vee, so you need a trailer capable of  close 15k lbs for some safety factor. I'd definitely do a 3500/350 also, as thats a BIG load to tow. Definitely diesel.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Seahare- the 310 weighs about the same as my 320 and that's right around 12400 pounds dry. Add in fuel (about 6 pounds per gallon), water and all the stuff you throw on board and you are easily over the rating of the 12500 pound trailer. I have an 18000 # rated trailer for my boat. I also have on 03 Ford F-250 with the 7.3 liter diesel - some modifications to the truck but nothing crazy. I tow my boat about 100 miles from the winter storage home to its summer home on Lake Michigan with no problems at all. Folks always ask me how I can tow the boat around but the honest truth is that it really is not much different from towing my first real boat - which was a 17 foot Rinker V-170. Only differences are the the 320 is a little longer, a little taller and weighs a bit more :-) Up until I bought my 320 every other boat has been on a trailer so I have tons of practice towing. I bought my trailer from an ad on Craigslist (Chicago area) for $2800 (down from the original $4k asking price) and it's a 2007 Loadrite aluminium trailer with torsion suspension, drum brakes on all 3 axles. It took quite awhile to find the trailer but it was sure worth it. You didn't mention how far you'd be trailering, how often, etc. I'm not sure I'd want to be trailering mine very often since I have to drop the radome, etc. to keep it under 13' 6" limit but it's really great knowing that I do not have to rely on anyone to move my boat around.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

ide estimate that i would tow it maybe 2-6 times per season, about 60 miles each time. We will be slipping the boat on lake michigan (60 miles from home) next season and i would just feel better having a trailer.. Especially if anything goes wrong I can tow it home to have my mechanics I like work on it.

Frodo, thats a fantastic price for that trailer! I need to find a deal like that, Ive got 3k i want to spend on a trailer and could maybe stretch that to 3.5k

About the truck, Yes i would prefer a 1 ton, but i dont really want to limit myself if i dont have to.. there seems to be a lot more 3/4 tons out there

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    personally, I don't understand why chevy/gmc doesn't put a solid front axle under their 34-1.5 ton trucks.. it makes no sense to me whatsoever, and is the reason i would steer clear of one.. the duramax and the allison marriage, however, is a dang good one.

Dodge/cummins are the way to go- but the cab isn't a great thing.. the engine is solid as a rock and will puke enough torque to do about anything you want with it.. beware of the transmission, though, as mother mopar still thinks band transmissions are the route to take, whilst allison and FMC have figured out otherwise.. Once you get the 5.9l ctd in order, maintenance is your only concern.

Ford, in 7.3L diesel variety, paired with the 4R100 or HD4R100 is a good choice... they are rock solid, can run on a wide spectrum of fuel grades, and can produce the torque you need.. the ford 6.0L diesel, i would venture away from.. the 6.4L (what I have) is a powerhouse and capable of ridiculous power with very little effort and can be bulletproofed with minimal effort (head bolts are bigger/stronger than the 6.0's; the very last of the engines that can be stripped of emissions add-ons).. BUT.. the 6.4's are in high demand, and they are pricey.  The 6.7l scorpion is Ford's first in house diesel.. it is a great engine, but it suffers from emissions devices that can't be easily altered, suck fuel like it's cool, and are very maintenance intensive (so is the 6.4 and 6.0, for that matter).

as far as trailers go, the basics have been laid out already: aluminum I beam, torsion suspension, tri-axle, weight rating w/ at least 30% safety margin... the big one: BRAKES.. getting the load rolling turns from an asset to a liability real quick like if you can't shut it down.. for this reason, I'd demand a disc brake system, electric/hydraulic, and on all six- paired with a brake controller in the cab.  There ain't no way I'd trust a booster tongue mounted actuator style system- they will beat the devil out of your tow rig.. aluminum: less likely to corrode; torsion bars: no replacement of leaf springs every other season; I beam: strength; tri-axle: better displacement of weight, demands smaller diameter tires= less ride height and cost to operate/maintain... I'd also demand LED lighting, which- if sealed- will last the life of the trailer maybe twice the cost of standard up front but will pay for itself over the next couple of years.

re: finding a place to purchase.....

If you don't mind driving, finding a trailer near the coast where folks are replacing them early and often is a good idea.. I know down here (coast of NC) folks don't take care of their crap and it fails them within three or four seasons.. it's humorous, actually.. SO, there are trailer makers all over the place.. I can buy a 12k# rated tandem axle as I described above for $3k all day long, with every bell and whistle.. BUT HERE IS THE THING, and let me be clear, I DO NOT LIKE taking advantage of peoples misfortune, but the economy is killing these guys.. I see trailers selling brand new for 1/2 to 3/4 what they were intended on being listed for.. I'm certain they can be talked down from there.. if you call the coastal makers, you may find you can get one a WHOLE LOT cheaper than you can up there...

and here is a one time offer: I'll be driving to U.P. Michigan over Christmas from Emerald Isle NC.. If you're along the way, I'll drag it up behind me and pass it off.. this would be helping some local guys move their stock, and helping a board member out, too.. If you're interested, I can get some contacts for the trailers and post them up here for you, and you can wheel and deal with them..
  • Options

The Ford 7.3l is great with the automatic, just watch for rusting oil pan and dip stick tube. 

Drew: Where you going in the UP?  My parents are both from the Marquette area.  Love it up there!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
  • Options
    Nice..long drive for you!  Snowmobiling there?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I drove it in 23 flat, straight through both ways last year.. I asked my wife to be awake that lonely and terrible hour preceding dawn, when the sand man's magic is most potent, and she sat over there snoring away.. both directions.. dang it..

I dunno if I'll get a chance.. last year it was a whirl through to see all her folks.. this year, with the baby, it should be even more so.. I'd love to ride some of those trails, though.. it looks like hella fun!!

• Options

Drew, i would be very interested in the contacts you have for trailers. And actually you would be passing real close to me as im near Green Bay wi. Maybe we can figure something out if i can make a deal.

As for trucks. ive done LOTS of reading. The 7.3 sounds like its a great engine but that puts me back into older trucks..so not interested... I dont want to drop the dime on an 08+, so no 6.4 for me either. Also, I hate how the 04-07 gm trucks look, so no duramax for me either. That leaves me with the (problematic) 6.0l or the 5.9l... There is a 04 dodge 2500 5.9l with 245k (its also chipped, not sure thats a good thing)  near me for 10k, Im thinkin bout maybe test driving it. I dont drive much, only put on 35000 mi on my last truck after 5 yrs ownership so im not too worried about high mileage vehicles 

• Options
    I think the 7.3's made it until around 03~04 or so.. the 6.0 is a nightmare.. the 6.4 is a dang solid engine after some work.. that 5.9 is just getting good and broken in- chipped is generally better, so long as it isn't beaten.. the two often coincide..

yup.. i pass right through GB..

give me a little bit and I'll rouse up some contacts for you.. there are two fellas i have in mind who have inventory right now, and i'm sure they want it moved... nobody is buying anything right now around here.. it's kinda sad.
  • Options
    a matter of fact... if you can stomach a steel trailer, they are abundantly available down here.. folks never even dunk them before upgrading.. if they haven't been robbed of hardware, there are a couple i know of right now that may suite your needs. being fresh water, you won't have the issues these guys do.
  • Options
    Awesome!! to be honest, im not gonna be picky. It just needs to be functional. It will be used lighlty by me. And yes fresh water only... theres not much ocean around my neck of the woods..lol  THX Drew!!
  • Options
    call Phil @ Emerald Marine.. he's expecting your call. he has some questions for you pertaining to specs and average loads... he already deals with the local builders and will facilitate a whole lot better than I can.. make sure and tell him you can live with steel due to your location..

according to him, there is a sizable jump from a 15k# to a 20k#gvwr trailer, and I reckon I agree with that..

don't settle on his price as the absolute representation from the area.. he priced me an aluminum all bells and whistles tandem for a 24' four winns I was looking at, @ $6k, which I found down the street (literally) for $2.75k.. What I'm hoping by having you contact him is to take advantage of his knowledge of locals, and finding a steel rig somebody used once and stored..
  • Options
    just talked to Phil.. nice guy.. he took some info, he thought a 15k trailer might be a little light but i think it will fine. He doesnt think he'll find anything used in the area (that doesnt seem to jive with what Drew said) so he might have to build new... Not sure if ill go that route because of cost... hes gonna give me a call back tmrw with updates
  • Options
    Yeah, he's gonna play middle man it sounds like... Give me a bit.. I'll get names and numbers for builders themselves, and a couple yards, to boot.. there are no less than four builders and two yards within a two mile radius from my house... Let's not spring your location on them until it comes time for a transaction...
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    If you are not in a rush, keep an eye on Craigslist - they have an app if you have an iPhone or iPad that will let you select multiple cities - so I just kept an eye out for Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and checked every couple of days. As luck would have it, I found my trailer within 50 miles of my house. Same with the F-250 - just happened to be searching around for a diesel truck, found this one ( 03 with 110,000 miles) and gave the guy $16,250 for it. I've now had it for 2 years and have had 2 minor issues with it - starter failed and I had to replace the glow plug relay. As already mentioned, the 7.3 liter is the way to go if you go with Ford. They quit installing the 7.3 mid 2003 and most everyone that knows about Fords go for the 7.3 which is why they are a bit pricey in the used market. Patience is the key :-) As Drew mentioned, brakes are a must have but I'm not specifically sold on having disc brakes - they are very pricey but much easier to maintain than the drum brakes my trailer came with. I can tell you this though - when I start slowing down and the trailer brakes kick in, the whole rig slows down and is very stable during heavy braking situations. It's not as simple as it sounds dragging about 15000 pounds on a 40' trailer around Chicago streets and expressways!
  • Options
    I haven't forgotten about this.. I'm waiting for names and numbers, and will post them when they come through.. I did see a 18k# trip aluminum with Cyprus bunks and galvanized hardware and axles for $7k, new.. that isn't too bad.
  • Options
    just found a REALLY NICE trailer with 3 8000# axles for $2800.. Its even Branded with a Rinker sticker, gonna be pking it up tmrw..  Thanks for all your help!!!   Oh, Phil quoted me $10k for a trailer
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    We want pics of that road warrier rig..... :D
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    here it is
  • Options
    ....Now you're ready for a truck and boat to mate with the trailer. That'll be a nice setup. Congrats on the trailer find.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Actually he has 2 to choose from, heres the other one
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    #1 looks better but it'd be prudent to confirm the axle rating and tire rating too. I found ours in the back of a yard and had to go all the way through it before I was satisfied that my TikiHut would ride on it and avoid issues that no road warrior wants to deal with. We're smaller at 10,000lbs all up but it's still a sight to see coming down the road. I can imagine a 310 will be intimidating to pull but it's really convenient to be able to get it home.

Good luck.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I agree, 1 looks better but it doesnt have fenders, 2 has fenders but the jack looks broke. Neither have a post for the bow to go on... Gonna have to figure out what to do there... Anyway, 2800 asking price, dont think i can really go wrong even if i gotta stick some money into it. Supposedly all the tires are in good shape
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I added SS disc brakes and all new springs/shackles/bolts/actuator and tires.....so basically all I was really happy with were the rails, cypress bunks, hitch, axles, hubs, rims, bow chock and fenders for $1200. Add $1000 in extra parts and a project weekend in the shop and now it pulls like it's on a rail. The boat lives on it year round unless we're out for a long weekend.

Don't count on old tires. There's a mfg date in an oval imprint on the sidewall that tells the month/year they were made. Old (3-4yrs) tires loose their elasticity and will shred under a heavy load, the LAST thing you want in a rig that size and value. New rubber is not only safer, it rides cooler and smoother.

Don't leave the house without a road hazard plan, like how would I jack this beast up safely on the side of the road. BoatUS also has a trailerable boat road hazard plan that is golden when combined with their on-water towing plan (but ck your area for local service).

Total rig height is another serious issue if you have an arch. Our 270 runs at 11'-10"......just barely legal and a serous pucker factor on low overhead wires, bridges and dangling tree limbs. And of course it won't totally fit in my shop which it missed by about 6"..  ~X(

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
  • Options
  • Options
    Ha! Yeah you nailed it Al! The guy ive been talking to is Owen and he did say they were transport trailers for Rinker, he said he would have the lights working and ready for the drive home, I realize there is probably some work that needs to be done but thats ok.... Out of the 2 trailers which one would you recommend for my 310?  Is a wide body better? Anyone know where i might find a winch post?
  • Options
    Just my .02. But this looks like a black hole for your money compared to getting something closer to road ready.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaHare said:
    I agree, 1 looks better but it doesnt have fenders, 2 has fenders but the jack looks broke. Neither have a post for the bow to go on... Gonna have to figure out what to do there... Anyway, 2800 asking price, dont think i can really go wrong even if i gotta stick some money into it. Supposedly all the tires are in good shape
    They are trailmaster trailers. If you purchase one of them, give them a shout. They should be able to hook you up with all of the parts that you need, including paint.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!