Options

New impeller won't pump water. ARRGG

2»

Comments

• Options
    SeaShiftSeaShift Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    That's what was crazy... My motor would run hot but not damage the impeller. So there must have been enough water to keep the pump lubricated but the pump would not purge the air out of the exhaust. I replaced both water pumps and now everything is fine. Runs Great on the hose now that it's on blocks and pumped great every time I dropped it in the water on the lift. I just wonder if it was the slight difference in impeller size that caused the pump to not be able to move the air out. When I would open the drains.... You would hear an immediate rush of air followed by water then everything was good to go. No big deal it's fixed now.
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soooo you'd replaced the impellers and not the housing and it ran hot. THEN you replaced the entire pump and all is well??

If that's the scenario then you may have gotten the ill fated/defective OEM impellers that I was sold. Mine wouldn't prime for anything even with 50lbs of water pressure. I replaced the whole housing with another new impeller and everything was perfect again.

On the other hand if your old housings were scored even slightly where the impeller seats then it could have just been time for a new pump. Mine wasn't bad and the impeller was clearly shy of a full deck as the image above shows.

Glad it's fixed but without the old parts it'd be hard to make a solid case. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    SeaShiftSeaShift Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Yup. Wouldn't pump water but did not burn the impeller up. I still have the pumps so I'm definetly going to check it out. Thanks for the help. I'm glad all the same guys from the old forum are on here. You guys have definetly saved me money over the past four years.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Yeah my guess is it was just bad impellers.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Just to throw another log in, I had an impeller fail enroute on the Mississippi.  After a lot of research and investigation while anchored in the Little Diversion Canal for the night we found that an apparently good impeller was in fact not good.

The failure was the hub.  It separated from the impeller blade part.  You could turn the hub by hand and the blade part would follow but if you hit it with torque, such as starting the engine, the hub would turn and the blades would sit still.

I am not sure that I am addressing the problem you are having but if not, it is something that you could face somewhere along the line.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342.

P.S. y'all should hear her new air horns.

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Now that I looked at the complete thread, I see that I already posted this possibility.  There is still some wine left on the counter.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Tony. Thats a good reminder about a spun hub. I think I'll join you in that glass of wine my friend. :D
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl