Options

Kohler generator problem

I have a 2007 280ec named after my dearly departed mom and dad, IrmaRalph". The gen is giving me a LOC message. I know this means low on coolant. But coolant level is perfect. I figure it is the water intake impeller or a clog but have no clue how to fix it. Can anyone help?  thanks, ralph

Comments

• Options
    jgracia02739jgracia02739 Member Posts: 5
    We have a 2006 270 with a kohler 5c had problems in the past  Do you have water coming from the anti-siphon tube on the loop behind the generator. If you do and you boat in salt water i bet the cooling holes on the muffler are blocked up  The stainless steel tube that is bolted to the manifold gets blocked and cause you all kinds of fits.
    Cleaned mine out and had no more problem  This blockage cause the raw water impeller to blow apart  way to much back pressure 
    Jim

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    well, the post is almost two years old.  But, to comment, LOC also happens if you suck something up in your strainer. ;)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back from the dead. I didn't know this site had been up that long.

Any info is good info on these gensests so thanks for chiming in DI and J. My 5E is running fine but I'm always interested when these FAQs and tips are posted from those who've solved an issue. Somebody with the experience should post their common trouble shooting tips/hints for these gensets. Seems like there have been some great ones. 
    Thanks, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    @tikihut2 ... there was another Rinker-hosted forum, but it wasn't very active. We migrated all the posts and users from there when we kicked this off in March. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I was a member of that one also. This one is much better.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭